Roof Insulation - cheap.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
our club matriarch has been using the insulated slab roof + matchstick method for her hives for years and is promoting insulation to the newbies.

our club matriarch has been using the insulated slab roof + matchstick method for her hives for years and is promoting insulation to the newbies.

No doubt, but has anyone ever asked why? It's a simple enough question. After 100 years, and hundreds of thousands of colonies managing along just fine each year. Why has this fashion for insulating them started? Even more astonishing is it's happening as our winters get warmer, and the closest thing I've seen to research would indicate that over insulating them is a bad thing.

Why are you insulating for example?

Actually, I've just reread what you've written. She's adding lovely slabs of insulation then lifting the roof up so she gets an up-draught. Errr.. am I the only one or is that completely pointless? You either want them ventilated, or snug. Thats like adding a slab of insulation to your front door, then leaving it open an inch all year round.

I'm still confused, if someone (anyone) could furnish me with a genuine set of results, or insulated hives vs. non-insulated in a typical British environment I'd be interested. Perhaps I have an unnaturally hardy strain that survive just fine with a normal lid on top and everyone has softie-bees that need a little extra molly-coddling to get through the winter....

Adam

Two bee farmers in Scotland with about 3,000 colonies between them. Half the hives wood and the other half poly. From my meetings with them they are firmly convinced they get 20% more honey from the poly hives.

This of course does not mean the same results will be achieved by putting a slab of insulation on the roof of a wooden hive in winter. I believe insulation needs to be all round and used all year round too. It minimizes temperature fluctuations during brood rearing and with the majority of nectar gathered each season by the bees being used to warm the brood nest, a hive with appropriate insulation can lead to larger honey crops.

This is one reason why some of the largest beekeeping equipment suppliers in Northern Europe no longer even list wooden hives in their catalogues.

RoofTops,

I am clearly with you on this topic. The advent of polyhives has displaced so many wooden examples over a thirty year period on much of the northern parts of Europe. That much testing would surely have shown up the down-sides of the insulated hive, if there were any. Britain's maritime climate is possibly the reason opinions fall between the two choices without a definite winner.

I still like wood as a medium - self-build, repairable, eco-friendly, durable (in cedar), etc, but I am going to try a poly 14 x 12 next year. Certainly much better value than a beehaus and looks to be an ideal format for my beekeeping.

Regards, RAB

I'm still confused, if someone (anyone) could furnish me with a genuine set of results, or insulated hives vs. non-insulated in a typical British environment I'd be interested. Perhaps I have an unnaturally hardy strain that survive just fine with a normal lid on top and everyone has softie-bees that need a little extra molly-coddling to get through the winter....

Adam

Dont think any tests are necessary Adam.

Yes a strong colony will survive without insulation but a weaker colony?

A simple question to ask yourself, is your house warmer for having the loft insulated.

With open mesh floors common today it has become common to insulate the roof its just the way it is for now.

drstitson ...

It's 52.5mm thick and is much paler coloured than shows in the online catalogue. Almost cream. Looks just the job!

I agree, very impressed with it and minimum prep time. A pity it has to be cut down to 460mm (a petition to change the standard rafter spacing to a national hive is called for) but with the sides faced with gaffa it works well and at £4.98 per two hives is a snitch!

I'm still confused, if someone (anyone) could furnish me with a genuine set of results, or insulated hives vs. non-insulated in a typical British environment I'd be interested. Adam

Now what is typical British?
Southern England? Minimal snow and winter temperatures above freezing most of the time?

Staffordhsire Moorlands where I live? 500 feet above sea level and -19C last year.

Scotland? Ranging from the Borders (sea level) to Balmoral where it can be freezing literally for 3 months of the year.

Ain't no such thing as a "typical British environment".

I saw what last winter did to our local Association's apiary. I will do all I can not to have similar results..

The issues of preventing condensation and ventilation are two separate but related issues.

i personally believe that ventilation eg with matchsticks is crazy but regarding insulation i think it sounds like a good thing - remember a crown board may be only a few mm thick and some people just have metal roof without chassis. so potentially there is very little between the top of the cluster and outside the hive. hot moist air plus cold crownboard=condensation. Think about it - there is plenty of insulating air and frames of stores between cluster and sides of hive but potentially bugger all above.

hives buried in a nice layer of crisp insulating snow would be lovely and snug as i'm sure finman will attest BUT we don't get that in the UK - we get cool damp weather.

Last edited:
Well as the bee inspector said at one of his "preparing for winter talks"

"if you go to the hive on a frosty morning and see a circle of frost melted on the roof it means the heat from the cluster has been used to do this rather than keep the bees warm" or words to that effect.

Back