Resources for bee talk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone know to any good resources for a bee talk to 4&5 year olds. Any ideas to keep them entertained?

Does anyone know to any good resources for a bee talk to 4&5 year olds. Any ideas to keep them entertained?

A bit of honeycomb that they can handle and a jar of honey with some taster spoons ... they love it if you have some actual comb honey that they can stick their fingers in and lick. Take along all your bee kit - they will be fascinated with it all ... the only problem you will face will be answering all the questions ...

I've just done one at a local school ... their teachers find it very valuable as it leads onto all sorts of things.... their topic of the week was 'Industrious' - sits very well with honey bees.

Don't get them too excited too early. Tell them to listen carefully because there's questions at the end and some honey to taste. That makes them shut up and listen because they think they might only get honey if they behave or if they get an answer right.

You will of course have honey for everyone but they don't know that yet.

If you can get some wireless super foundation and some wick, they can roll their own candles.
There's Phineas and Ferb's waggle dance, they may not understand it, but they'll enjoy dancing and singing along to it.
There are 101 craft ideas on t'internet to do with making bees, from either just thumb prints with paint, to bees made out of paper plates.
We've just had "Bee Day" in school, but it was further up the school, I'll have a think as to what the Nursery have done previously.

I did a talk for a kindergarten class last year. I took caged drones for them to handle... it amazed them and was zero risk of getting stung. Another idea I saw was to put paper letter Bs in a container with cheese cloth over it and a lid so it looked like you had bees in it.... Then ask if anybody wants to see real Bs and shake the container a bit.

If you have quite a lot of time, you could try getting the youngsters to re-enact a swarm leaving a colony, some carrying honey, clustering, sending scouts out, moving to a new enclosure, etc. If more time available, you could then do the same thing but as an Artificial Swarm. It would get them up and moving about and maybe afterwards they'd be able to concentrate for short session of "chalk and talk"

CVB

If you were near to the Lost Gardens of Helligan... you could take them on the bee trail..

Although the tale is of a " boy" bee gathering honey to take back to the hive!

( Hardly a surprise as it seems that there are beekeepers out there boasting of 20 colonies and 15 years experience that do not know the difference!!!)

Yeghes da

Appear in your bee suit - dressing up they understand that! Also, very hungry caterpillar theme for complete metamorphosis.

Keep it simple and remember they can only sit still for 20mins max

Ask them how their house is built.
I.e. Floor, walls, ceiling, downstairs, upstairs....then build the hive like a house, floor, Bb, super etc use the frames as rooms. I used a small extractor to spin three frames off and let the honey run into a jar. They eat it on bread I took in.......worked well! They love food!
E

Latest posts

Back