Requeening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi -
I received three mated Queens in the post this morning (I'm hoping they're ok - despite the 'live bees please handle carefully' label they were shoved through the letterbox with a four foot drop on the other side and are sounding pretty upset at the moment).

I haven't re-queened before and just wanted to check I wasn't doing anything wrong by doing this:

• Remove existing Queen
  • Add Queen in cage and with candy plug immediately, between two central frames
  • Leave well alone for a week or more and then check for eggs.
Does that sound ok? Nothing left out?

Lots of differing opinions.

Considered leaving or removing the workers with the queen?

Considered leaving her in the cage until any animosity from the colony bees has subsided, before allowing her release?

Considered waiting a while (until the bees realise they are Q-) before introducing the cage?

There will be others.

Thanks. Yes, the middle one I'd considered (leaving it a while after removing the old Queen before introducing the new one). The reason I was unsure about that is that I don't know how quickly the workers might start making emergency queens, and whether this process might continue even after the new queen pheromones began to permeate the hive.

How quickly should I be planning to do this? If I left it till tomorrow, are the queens likely to be getting more distressed?

I think they'd become less stressed as her pheromones start to permeate even though she's still in her cage.

I recently received some queens, they had been in transit for 6 days but were fine if a little thirsty.
I'm sure the forum member will not mind me passing on the intro instructionsnot worthy

1. The receiving colony should be queenless for at least 24 hrs (6 days for mine)
2. Queen and attendants in a cage that is taped to prevent the bees releasing her is placed between frames in the center rear of the colony - leave alone for 3 days
3. After 3 days, using minimum smoke quietly look at the cage. If the bees are still attacking the cage leave for a further 2 days. If they are not attacking the cage check all frames for queen cells. If any are found remove and leave for a further 2 days.
4. Once the bees have stopped attacking the cage and no queen cells are being made remove the tape from the cage so the bees have access to the fondant and can release the queen. Close up and leave undisturbed for 10 days

No method can be guaranteed but I had 100% success using the above:)

Please give them a drop of water immediately.

NOW!

PH

Thanks for those instructions MJBee, that's useful.

polyhive, how should I give them water? Spray? They're in very small cages with two or three attendant workers.

how should I give them water? Spray?

I usually apply a small drop of water with my finger to the mesh of the cage, you do not want to get them wet, which you could do if you spray them.

Thanks for those instructions MJBee, that's useful.

polyhive, how should I give them water? Spray? They're in very small cages with two or three attendant workers.

2 or 3 is poor....7 is supposedly optimal. One or two drops no where near the fondant. ReQ after half an hour doable...as long as they sound Q-...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've done this and left the hive Q- for half a day. Then introduced via Butler cage without attendants. No problems so far.

Thanks for the suggestions. I removed the queen this afternoon and will put the new one in mid-morning tomorrow.

I introduced the other two to two queenless colonies today, after a pretty ruthless check to ensure they were in fact still queenless. Fingers crossed time now then!

Latest posts

Back