Remove entrance block during flow?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Abelo which

Do you use them with the removable slider fittted as well as the main reducer?
I use without the additional slider but keep it at hand to fit if I have cause for concern about robbing or wasp attention. I also have a few pieces of cable ducting cut to length to use as tunnel entrances if there's an onslaught from the striped devils.

Attachments

• 20201002_151257.jpg
    20201002_151257.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20201002_151405.jpg
    20201002_151405.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 7
Probably too late in the season to be worrying about this? They need a good sized entrance if a very strong colony with a good flow. Aids ventilation, too, if on solid floors.

Paranoia re robbing or wasp attack is unjustified - if the colony is sufficiently strong (and the beekeeper does not encourage robbing or wasps into the area).

I use without the additional slider but keep it at hand to fit if I have cause for concern about robbing or wasp attention. I also have a few pieces of cable ducting cut to length to use as tunnel entrances if there's an onslaught from the striped devils.

Great idea, I think I’ll use it if wasps become an issue!

Probably too late in the season to be worrying about this? They need a good sized entrance if a very strong colony with a good flow. Aids ventilation, too, if on solid floors.

Paranoia re robbing or wasp attack is unjustified - if the colony is sufficiently strong (and the beekeeper does not encourage robbing or wasps into the area).
I've hardly seen any wasps so far this year ... still only July - they don't really become an issue until they go into sweet feeding mode. The very earliest this happens is the last week or so in July - with the current warm weather I suspect that most wasp nests are bulging with new grubs as there are so many insects around that wasps prey on for protein they won't be stopping brooding any time soon. They don't start sweet feeding until the brooding is over. Let's not panic our new beekeepers unnecessarily worrying about wasp attacks ...plenty of time left to worry about that .. later on !

Karol's waspbane site is the definitive source of information on wasps ..

https://www.waspbane.com/5-1-bee-keeping/6-8-sweet-feeding-wasps/

I should have added I do the same with trunking as a tunnel entrance if under attack. Last year I made the tunnel extend into the box, not along the front and it worked really well.

Attachments

• 21088AAA-25D9-4E2C-90A6-39E4E6C85898.jpeg
    21088AAA-25D9-4E2C-90A6-39E4E6C85898.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Only once did I remove the entrance block, DB and a massive flow, if you see massive crowding ate the entrance then go for it but as mentioned earlier wasps are a big problem with gaping holes
the Brynmair under floor entrances are the way to go, no mice no crowding and no wasps

Latest posts

Back