Nectar flow during long dry spell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm just wondering what happens to the nectar flow during the long dry spell we're having in the UK at the moment. Presumably the flowers stop making as much nectar as things are dry. Obviously the weekly inspection should check for stores to take through to the next one, but would it be common to feed at this time of year?

Not sure what part of the UK you’re in…… But really things have only JUST dried out😂

If you mean like the summer we had a few years ago shallow rooted plants dry out, large trees will still produce as deep rooted, in hot weather I think their flowers/nectar get burned out pretty fast though.
Bees/queens often shut down or much reduce laying in response to lack of forage, certainly in my area and others I know this is not the case atm.

common to feed at this time of year?
Have they produced a spring crop? If so, leave it on as insurance until the main flow starts, then whip it off, extract and put back the empties.

For now, in the BB, they'll need about two frames of honey between 7-day checks, assuming that in those 7 days foraging or flight is not possible.

Specific plants such as limes need certain conditions to produce large quantities of nectar but I am sure there will be some flow in most plants to some degree as that's how they reproduce

Yes, and the honey flow was exceptional in my region last year from late June to late July, mostly deep rooted bramble I guess.
I would also say it was our best season for honey even the autumn ivy was good across all sites at home .

Back