Reference

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
Can anyone remember the name of the person/study where they worked out how much beeswax a colony can produce in a year?

I'm sure there was a single study many decades ago on this though, that's the reference I'm after. It was done relatively scientifically.

Maximum wax would be very artificial to achieve - I suspect near continuous feeding and a lot of removal of freshly formed comb.
In medieval times honey was almost a by-product, wax for the church was the main bonus.

I'm sure there was a single study many decades ago on this though, that's the reference I'm after. It was done relatively scientifically.
Personally it seems strange to have "beeswax per colony per year" given that beeswax production relies on many factors: age of bees, temperature, weather, amount of sugar & water input etc...

I can find various references relating to "beeswax per pound of honey" or "beeswax optimum production vs. temperature" or "beeswax production vs. age of bee". But I cannot find any publicly facing references for "beeswax per colony per year".

What I have found are historic US Dept. of Agriculture honey & beeswax production statistics on Google books:
Example for 1965-69
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edit...+produce+in+a+year&pg=PA3&printsec=frontcover

The report has number of colonies per state per year and amount of produced beeswax per state per year.

Latest posts

Back