Reducing the faff of extracting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy with the uncapping process at this stage and it would be easier if I could throw more frames straight into the extractor.

Trust me :) your next bottle neck after getting a decent electric extractor is the uncapping.....
Yet to find an ideal solution that suits my own needs...I'm close with a steam uncapping knive..but all come with pluses and minuses. A lot depends on how much honey you extract each year as to what length of time you find acceptable. For a bee farmer extracting several tons each year different considerations come into play vs the successful hobbyist on a few hundred pounds each year.

Last edited:
Clear the kitchen for action before commencing - the cleaner it is at the start, the cleaner it stays - buy an uncapping tray with with built in drip tray (less than fifty quid with Abelo), also invest in a food safe box wide and deep enough to hold shallow frames - you can then uncap two super loads in one go before extracting (dividing the task into smaller repetitive actions is more efficient)
store the supers wet - less faffery.

"It's ok but the drum got knocked during house move so cage catches it."

you can knock that dent out...
take the cage out and get a piece of 4x2 wood shorter than the height of the drum.
Hold the wood vertically on the inside of the drum, narrow edge against the highest part of the dent.
Give it a WHACK with the heaviest hammer you have / can borrow.
The dent should just pop out. Even if it leaves a crease, it'll get rid of the annoying interference with the drum.

Re the extracting process. looks like you have the right kit/methods.

If you can, it's best to arrange everything so that you travel the minimum distances doing everything. Have stack of supers on floor, next to uncapping tray, next to extractor, next to empty supers to collect spun frames.
When you do each operation you shouldn't need to move your feet [much].
That not only reduces drips and trips, but makes it quicker too.

A trick I learned was to mount the extractor on a wheeled trolley. It absorbs the imbalance quite well and allows you to spin more easily.

I used plastic mounts to secure the extractor legs to the trolley to prevent it moving around on the platform and that's really made life simpler.

:thanks:

This is the best tip I have picked up from here for months.

I mounted my 8frame Giordan on castor wheels after reading this and my second batch of extraction has been a dream. I can leave the extractor running while uncapping next load and not worry about the shed disintegrating around me! Also not one single broken frame.

I'd never believe such a simple step could make such a difference.

Thank you

:thanks:

This is the best tip I have picked up from here for months.

I mounted my 8frame Giordan on castor wheels after reading this and my second batch of extraction has been a dream. I can leave the extractor running while uncapping next load and not worry about the shed disintegrating around me! Also not one single broken frame.

I'd never believe such a simple step could make such a difference.

Thank you

Do you not find that adding casters sends the extractor to the other side of the room while extracting more frames..:rolleyes:

Do you not find that adding casters sends the extractor to the other side of the room while extracting more frames..:rolleyes:

No. It just oscillates on the spot, but it takes all the banging and knocking out of the drum that I used to get.

Bump. To say...

Thanks for all of the advice.

Extracted some more yesterday having read your various tips. Much easier.

I managed to sort the knocked extractor by using two clamps in spreader mode, so the cage no longer catchers. Doesn't make it any easier but it's a lot quieter and less irritating! I also found a few tubs so that I could do all my uncapping in one go, which reduced the stickiness a bit.

So all a bit easier, but will keep my eye on the finances and the sales to see if I can pick up a slightly bigger extractor.

Bump. To say...

Thanks for all of the advice.

Extracted some more yesterday having read your various tips. Much easier.

I managed to sort the knocked extractor by using two clamps in spreader mode, so the cage no longer catchers. Doesn't make it any easier but it's a lot quieter and less irritating! I also found a few tubs so that I could do all my uncapping in one go, which reduced the stickiness a bit.

So all a bit easier, but will keep my eye on the finances and the sales to see if I can pick up a slightly bigger extractor.

I have the same type of extractor as you. I have extracted 450 lbs this year in it. I brace the body with my knees when I start slowly - reduces the knocking if out of balance.
place super on cardboard on table having weighed it (luggage scales ) an uncap using heat gun.No mess. Cut non white cappings. Cardboard on floor.
Minimal mess and three supers take under 2 hours including setting up and cleaning.
After 3 Lang supers, settling tank under extractor has usually 35Kgs or so of honey and getting difficult to lift ..so I stop then..(Old age does not help)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back