red mite

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mites

Having had chickens for a number of years I have tried many things, especially this year with the mite being so prevelant. I was recommended a product by a commercial keeper. It is called Smite the Mite. Brilliant. Non toxic once mixed and no egg withdrawal period. Creosote works but it WILL taint eggs.

One way to reduce crevices in the co-op is to buy some external sealant and run beads in all the possible hiding holes. This also makes it easier for cleaning.

i have already done that , thats why its also painted with gloss from the last site i worked on so its easy to wipe clean, where they are hiding is in the housings for the perches.

i have greased the ends so the mites cant get to the chocks i have just got to get rid of what ever is on the chocks and whats inside the pen

hedgerow pete;175552 i have just got to get rid of what ever is on the chocks and whats inside the pen[/QUOTE said:
You can use Ivermectin eprinex.
2/3 drops on the back of the neck repeating 3 days later if infestation is severe. Takes care of external parasites such as lice and scaley leg as well.
I never worry about egg withrdawal though if you sell them 7 days is suggested
I have plenty spare if you would like me to send you some

Talking with our Ag merchant the other week, it seems they still stock the original creosote for the chicken with mites. Thought it had all gone but apparently not.

Latest posts

Back