Recycling 12.5kg invert syrup cans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmys Mum

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have accumulated about 20/25 of the large plastic jerry cans that the invert syrup/ambrosia comes in.
I have tried in 2 local household waste sites in Berkshire to recycle them but have been told to throw them in with the general household waste. They have the recycling symbol on the back that is the triangle with a 2 in it and the letters PE HD underneath.
My (limited) understanding is that these are high density polyethylene and are usually recyclable . Has anyone else had problems recycling them? Or any bright ideas as to what I can do with them.

Putting them in for landfill does not sit well with me.

chuck them on freecycle - always someone looking for jerrycans and as they've contained nothing more than food quality products they can be used for anything.

chuck them on freecycle - always someone looking for jerrycans and as they've contained nothing more than food quality products they can be used for anything.

Thanks, good idea. Done.... Hope there are some takers, otherwise I may have to rethink my Autumn feeding strategy next year.

I had an absolute stack of them out the back last year then one night in the club one of the members asked if I knew where I could get some plastic drums cheap for carrying water to his chickens..............well, word soon got around and most have now gone. Also. put the word out to members of your BKA - people who mix their own syrup always need containers

Well, we are just outside Newbury and use the local tip.

We have exactly the same issue, not allowed to recycle as they are classed as hard plastic, have to go in general rubbish.

There is always a bit of a kerfuffle, much chin rubbing and enquiring as to what's been in them.
Shame really that nobody wants them for something useful.

Tried that, no takers I'm afraid.

Using IBC's now

Last edited:
I give them to my land lady who uses them for her horses water troughs. It was quite funny to see them being carried down the fields on my hive cart lol, at least its being put to good use :rolleyes:

Buckinghamshire county council will take 1,2 and 3 in the recycling triangle symbols. We moved here, only to discover that Pembrokeshire won't take them. Something to do with how much they are prepared to spend on their recycling budget.

Our association sells syrup to members either in the 12.5 kg poly containers or 'draught' from IBCs. Those that bring empties to fill get it much cheaper. If you have a similar arrangement at any nearby local associations there may be plenty of takers.

Our association sells syrup to members either in the 12.5 kg poly containers or 'draught' from IBCs. Those that bring empties to fill get it much cheaper. If you have a similar arrangement at any nearby local associations there may be plenty of takers.

Our association currently buys in the 12.5kg ploy containers for members but I wonder if they might be persuaded to consider a draught arrangement instead next season. I'm sure I am not the only member who has so many empties knocking around.
Thanks for the idea.

Our association currently buys in the 12.5kg ploy containers for members but I wonder if they might be persuaded to consider a draught arrangement instead next season. I'm sure I am not the only member who has so many empties knocking around.
Thanks for the idea.

the thing is you need a forklift to set the container at a great enough height to get the containers under to fill them.

the thing is you need a forklift to set the container at a great enough height to get the containers under to fill them.

Lucky for me, that need not be a problem. I know a man who has both machine and ticket! :)

Lucky for me, that need not be a problem. I know a man who has both machine and ticket! :)

Our arrangement is that members are notified at around the beginning of July and place their order. Then the order (which is piggy-backed onto an order for a professional beekeeper to get the best price) is placed with the supplier.
The price to members is set, members then must pay in advance. Collection is on one of two specified days or, in the case of larger orders, by arrangement with those who so generously give their time and effort to make the system work.

It is even cheaper if you can afford a road tanker load to pump into your own tank or IBCs!

Last edited:
At our local waste tip, they let me pop them in with the hard plastics never a problem.
strange them not taking as councils are fined if they do not keep bellow there land fill quota

Councils do my head in when it comes to recycling it would be better if everything went in a black bag and let them recycle it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Councils do my head in when it comes to recycling it would be better if everything went in a black bag and let them recycle it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Carmarthenshire all recyclables just go in the one blue bag and it gets sorted at the depot so not much inconvenience (although you do have to take your glass to one of the many glass banks dotted around) seems to work pretty well - it seems that Pembrokeshire and Swansea are in a bit of dissarray though; probably the tory councillors are too busy finding ways to fill their pockets to do anything else :D

I would love to know the carbon footprint on recycling supermarket containers

And the carbon footprint of two or maybe three bin wagons holding up peak time traffic on practically every weekday, plus the water bills of anyone on a meter who follows the orders to wash all recyclable rubbish.

Back