Ratnieks a no insulation and winter ventilation advocate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evolution is a strange thing isn't it? Fancy animals deciding to head for colder conditions than those they knew. Polar bears head out onto the ice when winter arrives, male Emperor penguins huddle up in the most extreme conditions and Honeybees left their warm home and some even ended up in miserable Britain. Very strange.

It is...and those honey bees that chose to build their nests in the open instead of in hollow trees.

It is...and those honey bees that chose to build their nests in the open instead of in hollow trees.

14666258_10154498036990259_1793941877869538254_n.jpg

European honey bees went extinct 35 million years ago (ice age) and only the indo European honey bees survived and separated into two species (probably India) and only until 6 million years ago did the start travelling North and East. it was not until the Pleistocene warming about 2-3 million years ago did they spread into Western Europe as Apis mellifera.

Still I think that period is long enough for them to evolve to our colder climate

Not far from where I collected my new truck last week in Cwmbran was a big sign for the 'Insulation factory' I was tempted to pop in and ask them whether they get many swarms :D

European honey bees went extinct 35 million years ago (ice age) and only the indo European honey bees survived and separated into two species (probably India) and only until 6 million years ago did the start travelling North and East. it was not until the Pleistocene warming about 2-3 million years ago did they spread into Western Europe as Apis mellifera.

That was truth before they made honey bees' genemappings.

What about those other Apis species in Asia

Africa is 3 fold size compared to Europe . It is full of mellifera bees
.Tamar Valley native bee community has most African bee genes compared to Italian and Carniolan bees and its relatives.

But we can approve that European honey bee evoluted in Tamar Valley. It does not harm.

Last edited:
What truck did you buy ?

Last minute decided on an L200, The vehicle I'd gone to see was a bit of a dog - the L200 was non VAT which brought the price down, 3years old with only 30,000 on the clock and I got it for the same price as the Nissan I went to see which was almost three times as old and high mileage.

Last minute decided on an L200, The vehicle I'd gone to see was a bit of a dog - the L200 was non VAT which brought the price down, 3years old with only 30,000 on the clock and I got it for the same price as the Nissan I went to see which was almost three times as old and high mileage.

Nice truck. Did it come with a truck man top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need for that even - no top brake light (are people that stupid now that they can't look to the rear of the vehicle where the lights have always been?) so just a handful of allen screws and off it comes.

That was truth before they made honey bees' genemappings.

What about those other Apis species in Asia

Africa is 3 fold size compared to Europe . It is full of mellifera bees
.Tamar Valley native bee community has most African bee genes compared to Italian and Carniolan bees and its relatives.

But we can approve that European honey bee evoluted in Tamar Valley. It does not harm.

https://entomologytoday.org/2014/08/25/study-finds-honey-bees-originated-from-asia-not-africa/

Yes, I know that. All apis relatives are on Asia.
When I last read about these, origin of mellifera may be near Palestina.
Black bee was last buck which came from Africa via Gibraltar. So you native bee is from Africa, and imported from Belgia 100 y ago.

Quite many stories have been written about mellifera's history during last 10 years.

There are some old chool experts there top.

Last edited:

Good choice - I had a petrol V6 L200 twin cab that I brought in new from NewZealand in 2002 - then had it converted to run on LPG .. had it five years and did 189000 miles - apart from having the turning circle of a London Bus it was a superb vehicle - totally reliable until the auto gearbox broke and by then it was not worth importing a new gearbox.... still sold what was left of it for £2500 !

Good choice - I had a petrol V6 L200 twin cab that I brought in new from NewZealand in 2002 - then had it converted to run on LPG .. had it five years and did 189000 miles - apart from having the turning circle of a London Bus it was a superb vehicle - totally reliable until the auto gearbox broke and by then it was not worth importing a new gearbox.... still sold what was left of it for £2500 !

I had a petrol V6 L200 twin cab that I brought in new from New Zealand in 2002

tell me, why would you do that ?

I had a petrol V6 L200 twin cab that I brought in new from New Zealand in 2002

tell me, why would you do that ?

Because they only marketed the diesel version in the UK - the diesel one was a bit thirsty but the V6 Petrol one gave me the equivalent of nearly 40mpg on gas (gas being, at the time, 34p/litre compared to 88p for petrol and 93p for diesel).

It was my company vehicle and at the time they were classifed as a 'Van' so I paid only £600 a year benefit in kind on it compared to the BMW I had previously which, in the last year I had it, cost me £8000 benefit in kind.

It was absolutely no trouble to import, the conversion to gas was done before I got it and the cost, even with the trucktop, bed liner, LPG conversion, leather seats added, towbar and aircon as standard was LESS than the basic truck from a Mitsubishi dealer in the UK - Are we ripped off in the UK ? Most certainly we are ... Rotorua Motors were brilliant - I know it sounds crazy but at the time it was a very cost efficient company car. OK - it did a few sea miles before it got to me but it still only had 8 miles on the clock ... and NZ drive on the same side of the road as we do ...

Saved me a fortune over 189000 miles in fuel and income tax (quite legitimately - not a fiddle of any sort).

Yes ... HMRC& E caught up after four years and these twin cabs were reclassified as 'Commercial Luxury Vehicles' - because accountants and IT people were getting them as 'company vans' when the most they carried was a briefcase - I was in the construction industry and at least I had a genuine need for a truck ... Not that this argument held any water with I/Rev ... Miserable, envious, penny pinching bar stewards ... I did all those miles for the company (I had another vehicle for personal use) but because it lived on my drive overnight - it was a 'company vehicle'.

Last edited:
Well, you know my opinion of the bloke anyway.................

Well, I wouldn't know him from Adam, but must agree with most of what he says. I keep bees along the Canada border of Vermont and New York, and have done most of what he says, and been sucessful at it for decades. Of course, my climate is not your climate as yours is not mine.

Latest posts

Back