Rather odd swarm arrival today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
New one for me... Swarm arrived at bait hive yesterday so showed up today to fill in wax foundation frames... Found them clustered under mesh floor. Got another box and plopped them in there. Shortly after they swarmed out of the box and disappeared over the road and fields. 4 hours later they came back and clustered onto the front of the bait hive but none have gone in. Any ideas what might be going on? Have I inherited some really indecisive bees?

I have had something similar. Swarm would not enter nuc with queen caged in there. Saw another queen in the swarm. Caged her and swapped them. They liked that one and went in. Look for more than one queen. Good luck.

Seems like cast swarms. Might be more than one - how do you know it was the same one?

That's a good question. I cannot be 100% they were the same but I'd say I'm 95%> the reason being I saw where they went and appeared to settle in the field opposite... I then witnessed them taking to the air again in that specific spot around 4 hours later.

Latest posts

Back