Rabbit box/run

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
My daughter (25) bought a 'house rabbit' last November - but is being kept awake all night by thumping. W want to move his hutch to a shed and buld a box and attached run for outside use. Anyone have ideas or plans??

Please tell me he's not being kept on his own?
Bunnies are social animals......like us....and need company

We thought that, but when we bought him w were assured that as long as he had plenty of human company & exercise (which he does) he would be OK. Know we know they are wrong...and are looking to buy a friend, but are worried about fighting.???

HIi Qeens59

Male rabbits often live together more happily than females. They are on the whole less aggressive but both will need to be neutered. An easy op at your vets, I used to do lots.

Here are some plans http://monsterguide.net/how-to-build-a-rabbit-hutch

Best of luck

Last edited:
I would not recommend same sex bunnies as if they are not brought up together there is a higher chance of fighting between them. Most people I have incountered say the best bet is introducing a netuered rabbit of the opposite sex.

I had 2 females (both neutered) who were raised together and were fine, then one died so I did some research and adopted a male neutered rabbit from a rescue centre there were a couple of scraps whilst they were finding out the boundaries, but now they are completely in love with each other and spent lots of time together. they are both in an outside hutch with a big homemade run so they can come in and out as they please.

Thumping would suggest that there is something that is making the rabbit unhappy which is why he is sending out a warning noise.

Rabbits live so much happier in pairs though than on their own. Good luck with finding a match, there are so many rabbits in rescue because people breed them even by accident so hope you are able to give one of those a home.

Thumping is a sign of fear, so I guess he's telling you he doesn't like being on his own!

I have kept house rabbits for several years and have had both related and unrelated males and females together (once neutered/castrated). There is always a bit of scrapping to begin with while they decide whose boss, but once they've sorted themselves out they live really happily together. A rescue centre is definitely the place to start.

Good luck!:)

Latest posts

Back