Quiz what's going on with the frames.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were the bees locked up and moved?

Agree it looks like stores removed in a hurry by bees, but have seen similar by bees within the hive.

A beginner wouldn’t know. The whole point is for experienced beekeepers to hazard a guess and explain why.
Fair enough you are right, so yes the frame was starting to be robbed by other bees.
What happened the frame was in a weakish nuc with a failing queen ( DLQ - not mated very well) the robbing was quite silent Infact and if it wasn't for seeing robbed frames before I wouldn't of known.
Weak nuced failing queen was dispatched and United before winter with another nuc.
Remaining frames of stores were condensed and used to bulster others.

What happened the frame was in a weakish nuc with a failing queen ( DLQ - not mated very well)
And you should have put that bit of info out in the first place

A you know yourself how hard it is getting information out of people who post a problem. Without the facts it can be impossible.

A you know yourself how hard it is getting information out of people who post a problem. Without the facts it can be impossible.

An unnecessary comment.

CGF is not asking for a post mortem. He is asking what has happened to these frames. The answer is clear if you know the signs of robbing, and these are very useful signs for beginners to learn.

The history of the nuc is irrelevant to the question CGF asked. It's robbing, whether the nuc had a good queen, a bad queen, or the lead singer from Queen!

An unnecessary comment.

CGF is not asking for a post mortem. He is asking what has happened to these frames. The answer is clear if you know the signs of robbing, and these are very useful signs for beginners to learn.

The history of the nuc is irrelevant to the question CGF asked. It's robbing, whether the nuc had a good queen, a bad queen, or the lead singer from Queen!
Well my super frames look like that ( the robbed out bit) after extraction. I would have found it useful info to impart to a beginner.
As fur what happened to the frame you could also add that at one stage it had brood in it.

I've noticed a definite pattern regarding your reactions to CGF. You've become less and less tolerant and far quicker to find any possible fault with what he says. I wonder why.
You’re probably right. It was a bit abrupt.
I shouldn’t have said

It would have been much better and more polite to say
That would have been useful information at the beginning. Thanks for adding it now.

This time last year I shook out this colony. No brood. Queen not found. Only a few bees.
I'd given the colony fondant in February because the weight was dropping faster than my other colonies. Assumed they were just 'going for it' early. Then they didn't take the fondant. Some frames showed what I thought was robbing which explained the weight loss.

Does this look similar to above?
. . .. Ben

DSCF20210329-01-small.jpg

A brood frame

DSCF20210329-03-small.jpg

Last edited:
Bees were not locked up, I was hoping a beginner or two would have a guess??
This was not what happened in your case (of course), but just by way of a story I guess, I moved a very strong colony (quite a distance), a few weeks back, and they uncapped and ate away large sections of honey stores during the move. The combs looked very similar to a bog- standard robbed frame as that is what they were really, but it was done during the road travel time by the bees within the colony itself.

After jbms quiz here's another one.
What has happened to this frame.
Thanks for posting the pics CGF. Luckily, I haven't seen results of robbing in my own hives before, but I was pleased I recognised it straight away in your photos, just from others' descriptions.
Personally I didn't think it needed any other info. The pictures were more than enough.

Thanks for posting the pics CGF. Luckily, I haven't seen results of robbing in my own hives before, but I was pleased I recognised it straight away in your photos, just from others' descriptions.
Personally I didn't think it needed any other info. The pictures were more than enough.
Thanks for that I maybe should of added the colony history though from the start, even if I said the frame was from a weakish colony ;)

This was not what happened in your case (of course), but just by way of a story I guess, I moved a very strong colony (quite a distance), a few weeks back, and they uncapped and ate away large sections of honey stores during the move. The combs looked very similar to a bog- standard robbed frame as that is what they were really, but it was done during the road travel time by the bees within the colony itself.
Sounds like they got a bit stressed and gorged?

Latest posts

Back