Queenless Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I have just been given 2 colonies to look after for a friend who is going to the US for 6 months.

On checking, prior to transport, 1 of the colonies has no Queen, no Brood (eggs, larvae, unsealed or sealed), no QC, but 5 frames of stores, and 5 frames covered with bees. The inspection was at 13:00 so there are many more flying bees to return, as the were returning with pollen & nectar in force.

Clive, after mumbling for a minute or two, admitted he hadn't checked the colonies for what we worked out to be 20 days and there had been QC's which he destroyed.

They are his only 2 colonies and he wants me to see if I can 'revive' this one.

As I only have 2 colonies myself and I don't want to mess with them, what should I do? My thought was to try and find a mated Queen and introduce her asap.

Thx in advance for replies.

DBee

I'd start with a test frame "A frame with eggs" and check again in 3-4 days to see if they have started making any queen cells before trying to introduce a known good queen.

Thx for the responses.

So I take a frame with eggs, shake off all bees and transfer frame with no bees to Queenless hive.

If they start making QC's do I re-queen then?

That's assuming I can get a Queen.

DBee

Thx for the responses.

So I take a frame with eggs, shake off all bees and transfer frame with no bees to Queenless hive.

If they start making QC's do I re-queen then?

That's assuming I can get a Queen.

DBee

If queenless, the bees should start to make their own queen on the test frame. Check and see in a few days time.

likely have a virgin queen there who is in process of making mating flights.

no harm from adding test frame - maybe sensible as queen may get lost when flying after the move!!

I did just that... Added a test frame 2 a hive that was nasty and no eggs seen for weeks.. This was on sunday ilooked today and //// all the eggs have been fed no queen cell what so ever so must be a queen of some sort but still follow me will wait to see what happens

so must be a queen of some sort

Not necessarily so. The only definitive result from a test frame is Q-.

RAB

I've put a test frame in and have found 3 QC.

I guess they were Q-.

If I get a new Q should I introduce her with the test frame in, or remove it?

Thx

Leave it in,but shake all the bees off and make sure you remove every emergency queen cell,always best to introduce a new queen next to a frame of brood if possible.

Checked hive 2day that i thaught was queen less and 12 queen cells on test frame,, united with one next to it

Latest posts

Back