Queenless after split, nucleus method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4+
I split a hive 2 weeks ago and left initially 2 QCs in the original hive while removing the queen to a nucleus. A week later I removed other QCs and left one capped one. Today the QC has not hatched so seems to have failed.
I could reunite the colonies, but to be sure the original hive is queenless should I add a frame of eggs and larvae first?

Just fyi bees will often reseal a queen cell once the virgins emerged, you’ll sometimes also find a worker trapped in there rear end up.

That happened to me last year - do they do it to confuse us ? It worked in my case.

Just fyi bees will often reseal a queen cell once the virgins emerged, you’ll sometimes also find a worker trapped in there rear end up.
Yes they do but not guaranteed in this case. Depending on how much brood is yet to emerge you could wait a week to see if you have eggs or yes, add a test frame now.

Looked today and you're right, they'd resealed the QC over a worker head down! They don't teach you that in the books. Also a lot of croaking from this hive still so must be a loud queen in there.
Added a test frame anyway.

Looked today and you're right, they'd resealed the QC over a worker head down! They don't teach you that in the books. Also a lot of croaking from this hive still so must be a loud queen in there.
Added a test frame anyway.
I’d guess then you have a virgin in there, leave alone now and hope for a successful mating.

Latest posts

Back