Queen stopped laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just had a quick look at the hives it would seem that the queen in a couple of the hives has stopped laying. There is a handful of capped brood but no fresh eggs and no larvae. I have seen the queen. Is this normal for this time of year

They was a few weeks ago but have stopped,seem to have plenty of stores

You mean they were bringing pollen in but have now stopped, even in the better weather? That's odd.

OK. Well, it's a bit unusual - the queen would usually be increasing her laying at this point, not decreasing it. But bees are funny things. As long as they have food, and you have seen the queen, I don't think there's anything else you can do except wait and see how they are in a month. You can't requeen them or anything like that.

It's too early for full colony inspections anyway - some cold nights coming up - so just leave them alone, keep an eye on the landing board, and see what they are like in a month.

Just to check - you don't have anything odd like a queen excluder in the hive between the brood box and super do you? The queen can access all parts of the hive, yes?

EDIT - Someone might add something about pollen substitutes - I haven't used them so can't comment there.

Last edited:
If there’s no eggs brood atm I’d say there’s trouble are you sure you didn’t miss anything! As above all my are gearing up atm and have been for a while. I found a couple yesterday with a dozen or so newly emerged drones.

You mean they were bringing pollen in but have now stopped, even in the better weather? That's odd.

EDIT - Someone might add something about pollen substitutes - I haven't used them so can't comment there.

Weather round here (Very North Midlands) has been cold and dry or cold and wet for about a month. Virtually no pollen coming in.
I put pollen patties on all my hives because of that.
No idea about brood and eggs.. can't do anything so don't worry.

Weather round here (Very North Midlands) has been cold and dry or cold and wet for about a month. Virtually no pollen coming in.

I agree ++. We had a warm few days at the end of February with pollen coming in. Since then it's been colder than seasonal average and blowing a hoolie and forecast to continue. No bees flying, let alone pollen entering. Most years my camelia is showing pink in late Feb but buds not open yet. I've not yet opened the hives. The only saving grace is that the OSR is also stalled - my most important crop.

I'm surprised that you are going that 'deep' into a hive at this time. I have fed some of my hives, but only at some speed, as in roof off.....fondant in......roof on. I hope to keep the core temperature of the colony as constant as possible, as I think a sudden change can 'turn the queen off.'
I will not be looking into brood boxes until the weather is consistently warmer. I'm hoping that April will be good so I can get ahead of the game this season.

I agree ++. We had a warm few days at the end of February with pollen coming in. Since then it's been colder than seasonal average and blowing a hoolie and forecast to continue. No bees flying, let alone pollen entering. Most years my camelia is showing pink in late Feb but buds not open yet. I've not yet opened the hives. The only saving grace is that the OSR is also stalled - my most important crop.

17C in Yorkshire yesterday, 10C max here with strong wind..... Right now: 7C. Haven't seen a bee for days.

If there’s no eggs brood atm I’d say there’s trouble are you sure you didn’t miss anything! As above all my are gearing up atm and have been for a while. I found a couple yesterday with a dozen or so newly emerged drones.
Drones!!?
Where are you?

Drones!!?
Where are you?
Surrey/Berks....some emerging now some already emerged in larger hives. Don’t be surprised in slightly better years it’s only a week or so till first swarm reports. And yes normal in most years to find some on first inspections. In pic drone brood middle right hand edge.

Attachments

• 6E2EF562-2A47-44FE-944F-82B90A20DB87.jpeg
    6E2EF562-2A47-44FE-944F-82B90A20DB87.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
That is quite early for drones but the bees will know what they are at - unless the queen is mis-firing. If the weather comes warm that could mean there may be some early April swarms? Who knows - but perhaps the bees know better than the beekeeper.

They will start to rear drones if space is getting tight, for instance - or if they can forecast the weather better than the Met Office (not difficult!).

Back