Queen rearing kits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I think there is no thread of such, if do please merge or delete this post.
I have recently read something about EZI Queen Systems. Seems workable. Since I used jenter, and was very satisfied with it. I thought if I get same liability with "EZI" but faster. As I understood it is more like Nicot ( I hope didn't got it wrong). Has someone first hand experience with it?
If seems OK, will look after I sell the honey to try to get one.
I have so far good eyesight, but I am such "school" without grafting..

Thanks in advance.

Goran, is this the American AZ / BZ system? This system is favoured by those who produce queens on a large scale, I know someone who uses the system here, but it has no real advantages. These islands do not lend themselves to large scale queen production.
The Nicot and the Jenter seem to be the favourites here.

Goran, is this the American AZ / BZ system? This system is favoured by those who produce queens on a large scale, I know someone who uses the system here, but it has no real advantages. These islands do not lend themselves to large scale queen production.
The Nicot and the Jenter seem to be the favourites here.

Hi, at first I thought it's the same and didn't read further. Recently I got deeper and.. I was wrong.

Look at the links bellow

http://eziqueen.co.nz/

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/m01320-ezi-queen-system-complete-each

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4YlUM5jZNQ

Interesting system(and expensive!), I suspect it is likely to be of more interest to royal jelly producers than queen rearers. I will stick with cupkit, although I've not used the cassette for many years, preferring to graft directly into the cups. Perhaps best to hold your money for the moment and see if many get sold and if they do, would the purchasers be impressed enough to buy again.

Interesting system(and expensive!), I suspect it is likely to be of more interest to royal jelly producers than queen rearers. I will stick with cupkit, although I've not used the cassette for many years, preferring to graft directly into the cups. Perhaps best to hold your money for the moment and see if many get sold and if they do, would the purchasers be impressed enough to buy again.

Will see. At least one more option available. Till spring the whole messy situation should be clearer. I have some queens, that will be such waste not to prolongue their lasting. Now, when I talk with other beeks I see that anyway organized operation is better than none organized.. One beek asked: why do you need third box on lang deep ( the same size boxes).. It was silence for a moment.. Later on I heard, that it is such awful genetics he has at his apiary.
So in my case is proven any selection was better than none.. Now I am off topic..

If you want to prolong the life of old queens keep them in a nucleus hive. But probably, you already know that. What sub species do you keep; Carniolans?

If you want to prolong the life of old queens keep them in a nucleus hive. But probably, you already know that. What sub species do you keep; Carniolans?

In fact I don't keep old queens in nucleus, usually they last 3-4 years. I have lot to learn and change in my practice.
Yes, at my place are Carniolans, other not allowed to keep.

My mentor successfully use jenter for years ( combined with cloake board), but his main target are honey yields. He has great results, of course as result of nice queens. I was lucky to get him for mentor.

Yes, at my place are Carniolans, other not allowed to keep.

Hi Goran
Can you clarify this statement? Is this a local rule - imposed by your regional beekeeping association for example - or a Croatian rule, imposed nationally? Or perhaps it's a personal ... you don't allow yourself keep other strains to avoid any problems with crossed matings?
I'm just interested in where bees come from and go to in Europe.
Happy New Year :)

Hi Goran
Can you clarify this statement? Is this a local rule - imposed by your regional beekeeping association for example - or a Croatian rule, imposed nationally? Or perhaps it's a personal ... you don't allow yourself keep other strains to avoid any problems with crossed matings?
I'm just interested in where bees come from and go to in Europe.
Happy New Year :)

Hi, same as in Slovenia, keeping other strains than Carniolan, not allowed. To give wider explanation, Carniolan bees are autochtonous on wider Balkan area, not just in Slovenia. There happen some mindless illegal incursions with italian ( mostly). We have such diversity within Carniolan that there is no real need for other strains.

Also Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Thanks Goran, that's very interesting. I thought bee movements within Europe were allowed/disallowed by the EU rules ... who actually stops a Croatian beekeeper from importing Italian strains?

Thanks Goran, that's very interesting. I thought bee movements within Europe were allowed/disallowed by the EU rules ... who actually stops a Croatian beekeeper from importing Italian strains?

Regulations, lawfully can get fined.

As I understand it, a number of countries who joined the EU around that time specified restricting imports of bees as a condition of joining.

At the end, I followed Russian route.. What proven efficient, don't change.. I bought jenter, now is ready for queen, planning to put in queen next week..

Attachments

• jenter.jpg
    jenter.jpg
    335 KB

Latest posts

Back