Queen introduction via Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hasbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello again, I am attempting to introduce a new queen from a local supplier. I set up a nuc one day prior to collecting the queen with two sealed brood and one stores in a five frame nuc. Before putting the queen in two days ago I checked for any queen cells, there were none. I put the queen in without her attendants with the plastic end still intact and hung between the brood frames. I went in today, two days later to find a large number of bees flying into and out of the nuc, robbing the food supplies and appear to have killed numerous nurse bees. The queen is still alive, I have given the nuc another brood frame and some stores, closed the entrance and moved it to another part of the apiary. The hive I believe that was robbing is the one the new queen is destined to replace. I am contemplating moving that (rather defensive) hive to my out apiary and see if that helps. Am I on the right track?

Hello again, I am attempting to introduce a new queen from a local supplier. I set up a nuc one day prior to collecting the queen with two sealed brood and one stores in a five frame nuc. Before putting the queen in two days ago I checked for any queen cells, there were none. I put the queen in without her attendants with the plastic end still intact and hung between the brood frames. I went in today, two days later to find a large number of bees flying into and out of the nuc, robbing the food supplies and appear to have killed numerous nurse bees. The queen is still alive, I have given the nuc another brood frame and some stores, closed the entrance and moved it to another part of the apiary. The hive I believe that was robbing is the one the new queen is destined to replace. I am contemplating moving that (rather defensive) hive to my out apiary and see if that helps. Am I on the right track?
I would move the nuc if you can to another apiary.
And maybe put an empty nuc box in its place so the robbers get the message there is nothing to Rob, you could then bring the nuc back at a later date Once your mated queen is settled and the nuc is strong.

What you moved with sealed brood is not nurse bees but foragers so they went home and got their sisters.
Shake in a few super frames worth of bees and take the nuc away from the apiary
No need for a dummy for the bees to rob. The nuc was easy pickings. When it’s gone the robbers will simply go home

Thanks will do that although that is what I did on transferring the brood frames over, except this time I will move the Nuc elsewhere. Thanks again.

Hi ,Dani I have re-shook bees in as described and have moved the nuc, can I just ask should the entrance be open or closed, it is a revolving entrance with a QX /open/ ventilation,settings?
thanks again

Latest posts

Back