queen finding tips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieD

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi , i was lucky enough in the late spring to have a large swarm take residence in one of my empty hives i let them settle in for a couple of weeks then opened up the hive. They are very well mannered, but i have never seen bees run around so fast, like they are turbo charged, and there is a lot of them.
I was trying to find that queen to see if she was year marked as im presuming it will be the old queen as the swarm was so large, but with the speed the all run around and over each other, ive had no luck finding her after 3 times trying. does anyone know a way i could drain away some bees from each box, one at a time to lessen the amount on the frames and make it easier to find her

To get rid of all the foragers you could move the hive 20 feet away and leave a spare box for the flyers to congerate in while you search the original box.

Hi , i was lucky enough in the late spring to have a large swarm take residence in one of my empty hives i let them settle in for a couple of weeks then opened up the hive. They are very well mannered, but i have never seen bees run around so fast, like they are turbo charged, and there is a lot of them.
I was trying to find that queen to see if she was year marked as im presuming it will be the old queen as the swarm was so large, but with the speed the all run around and over each other, ive had no luck finding her after 3 times trying. does anyone know a way i could drain away some bees from each box, one at a time to lessen the amount on the frames and make it easier to find her
Unfortunately some bees are runny and it’s a pain. I used to help an old boy many years ago and quite literally half the hive would be out the front door. As above if your desperate to find her move the box away and ensure you can mark her to save future grief.

I hate runny bees. Be as slow as you can, and work really carefully. A nice warm sunny day is best with the sun on the frames. Once they start running they never seem to stop!

Apart from the above, separating the frames to two boxes can let you know which half they are in (the Q- section will be upset and ‘roar’ when they soon realise their lady is missing). Then separate the frames into pairs and leave them in the light (may need a travelling screen at this time of the year). Queenie will not like the light and will be found in the darker area between frames (unless she is a ‘runner’ and runs away PDQ).

That lot should make it easier to find her.

You say drain bees from each box? I’m presuming you mean double brood which the Q has access to both.
My method step by step
Remove & upturn roof
Place top box with CB on roof
Put 2nd box at angle over CB & put a cover over
This should be at the side of the hive location
Place spare empty brood box on floor & CB for flying bees to return to
Wait 10-15 minutes
Start removing frames 1 at once inspect and place in the new brood box, they will go in the same position as the original set up
Check the bottom & edges of your frames well as Q will aim to head for the shaded side, take your time
Once all frames back in check the box well and then put the empty box on top
Repeat for the next box
When done the hive will be rebuilt in the same configuration as you started
Hope this helps

Do you need to find her? I do as little as possible to my colonies this time of year as I find they don't appreciate being disturbed. Personally I would see if they survive the winter and then find her in the spring when there are less bees and they are all happy and foraging on spring plants.

A swarm I caught this year is very jumpy too - it surprised me because they are so much more lively than my other bees. They have a tendency to jump up onto my hands as I inspect too. They aren't really defensive in terms of stings, or follower bees, just awkward to inspect.
I'm hoping to requeen them with a queen I raised from my other bees, but I've got to find the queen first...

If on two boxes, the first thing to do is to insert a QE between the boxes and wait for new eggs? Got to be careful of getting too many drones trapped if that is a possibility.

Latest posts

Back