Queen Excluders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

My bees are having trouble getting through Queen excluders, anyone else having this problem? I think I have chunky butt worker bees. I have fed them pollen substitute early this year, so maybe it's my fault. I think I might just run hives with 2x 14x12 brood boxes and a super or two if needed. Not after show honey, a bit of honey would be nice, want happy, healthy bees.

My bees are having trouble getting through Queen excluders, anyone else having this problem? I think I have chunky butt worker bees...
Bees have a hard exoskeleton, they don't get fat by overeating like we do :(.

Two possibilities you might want to consider. One is they can be reluctant to move into a new box, more so if they don't need the space yet or it's foundation - if it's not just excess space try putting the QX in after a few days or they start building comb. Second is that there have been problems in manufacture of some QX, especially plastic moulded ones - if it's a new one try measuring the holes against others that you know are OK.

I have a commercial brood and a 14 x 12 brood. I have 3 supers available for each this season and I'm unable to buy more. Would there be a problem running excluderless with this setup? I also only have the frameless slotted zinc type and the commercial brood is top bee space.

I'm not sure because I don't have many years experience to compare. They are on 7 16x10/14x12 frames so far if that helps

I've never tried no exluder but just wondering if a double brood set up would help. You've not mentioned spare brood boxes though.
You could just give it a try and see how it goes.

I have 1 spare 16 x10 but I'll need that for artificial swarming

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

The dreaded moment as you realise you need more hardware :) Let's hope you won't need to AS.
I may give it a try myself (next season) I'll wait to hear how goes for you first . :D

I have nucs I could a/s with but I'm not sure how you recombine with them

Latest posts

Back