Queen cup ? and no action in super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrandan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
photo.php

Hello, I picked up a 6 frame nuc 3 weeks ago, during inspection today I found a Queen cup I think at the bottom of a brood frame as per photo attached. What should Ido with this?
also there is little or no action in the super, there where only about 3-5 bees and no foundation has been drawn out. They have drawn out all bar one of the brood frames and there are 8 frames with brood on along with stores.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
ummm does anyone know how to upload photo from laptop to this site, the attachment link isnt working?

Q cups are just preparation that all colonies do in case they decide to swarm at some point. Ignore them, if you cut them off the bees will rebuild

They are only worth taking action on if they become charged with larvae and royal jelly

They won't move up into the super until they want to. For now they are happy with what they've got. Patience -if they've just expanded their broodnest by 2-3 frames then in 3 weeks time you'll have plenty more workers about to get on with drawing the super

hi if it was just a cup then theres no need to panic they are normal.......if it was charged with larvae and jelly then things change ...it sounds like theyve expanded nicely, but if the main flow is over in your area then there is little chance of them expanding rapidly into your box of foundation....in many areas there is little income atm due to the main flowering/flow period being over and the dry conditions.......unless your nuc was wall to wall brood and rammed with bees it would be unrealistic to expect them to have done more imo...what where you concerned about

Thank you guys for the reassurance. Nothing in the cup so I ill stop worrying. Enjoy the weekend. cheers

Latest posts

Back