Queen Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Would anybody have information on the reasons, other than to swarm, a colony produces Queen Cells?

I have found reference to them stating that a beekeeper should first ascertain the reason the colony has produced them but no reference to the other reasons.

Thanks in Advance.

My limited knowledge/ experience is...

Qc produced if bees want to supersede existing queen ( damaged, past it etc)

Or if colony is q-,

Afaik, these cells are in the middle of the frames as opposed to the edges.

Welcome to the forum!

FB

Awaitingmore experienced beekeepers opinions!
:icon_bs:

We agree with this a queen cell is caused by the hive suffering some sort of stress be that stress casued by being cramped, q-, supersedure (see above) illness in hive usually high parasite count, or the patch is so good the "bees decide" two colonies could do well here.

ditto muswell,

I once accidently removed a Q from a hive (don't ask!) and next time I opened I couldn't remove brood frames because off all the Q cells.

richard

Had 6 cups in one colony on Sunday. No larvae so not worried. They are just keeping me on my toes;)

"or the patch is so good the "bees decide" two colonies could do well here."

even if they produce 80 QCs only one virgin will survive in normal circumstances so end result remains TWO colonies.

"or the patch is so good the "bees decide" two colonies could do well here."

even if they produce 80 QCs only one virgin will survive in normal circumstances so end result remains TWO colonies.

or they throw a few castes, but then may be the bees have decided that three, four or five colonies "would do well here"

Does anyone know what they do with the old queen when they supercede her? I know you can very rarely have two laying at the same time, but do they tell her to sling her hook and throw her out with her suitcase or kill her?

or they throw a few castes, but then may be the bees have decided that three, four or five colonies "would do well here"

But if a colony keeps throwing castes they can get caught out later in the season (weather, unsuccessful mating, queen gets killed on the wing etc) and end up going into winter queenless or with a virgin.

But if a colony keeps throwing castes they can get caught out later in the season (weather, unsuccessful mating, queen gets killed on the wing etc) and end up going into winter queenless or with a virgin.

Indeed! But they don't have to stop at one swarm only.

Back