queen cellls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
If i raise QC from Hive A once capped and caged and then put them into Hive B,would i be
able to split Hive B using these hatched queens with out the risk of Hive B killing off these virgin queens ( would they treat them as there own) ?

If i raise QC from Hive A once capped and caged and then put them into Hive B,would i be
able to split Hive B using these hatched queens with out the risk of Hive B killing off these virgin queens ( would they treat them as there own) ?

Only if hive B is hopelessly queen less?
and then hatch them in an incubator and dip them in the golden syrup before introduction

James

Not sure why you are not splitting hive B and installing queen cells into the splits. Better to make them hopelessly Q-, but likely to be OK. Just remove any other queen cells before the required queens emerge, just as insurance against an unwanted departure. Particularly if the cells are protected, it should work OK.

You could split them and run in virgins soon after, if you allow the queens to emerge.

Several variations for increase are possible, but not a good idea to be just adding queen cells into a Q+ colony unless well detached from the main brood area. Why risk unwanted departures?

If i split Hive B and add QC do i use Cell protectors ? If i can get enough kit ready in time lol.
I seem to be using it quicker than i am making it.

I am using Hive A as the breeder colony and once QC are capped i then need to move them for the next batch to go in. But as kit is low ( in the shape of planks of wood :D) i was looking for a temp home for the cells.

Latest posts

Back