Queen Cell Tip Advise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testka

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have a couple of hives which are currently without queen due to AS. Checked today and have seen sealed queen cells which should have hatched a few days ago. The tip of the queen cells were quite a dark brown colour and not the light wax colour of rest of the cell.

Does this signal the queen has hatched and the bees have resealed the cell or an imminent hatching? I could not spot a virgin queen running around.

Thanks.

The test is to gently prod the tip with the corner of your hive tool and see if it opens. If so she is out.

Of course you will have a note on your records as tow hen the cells were first seen and from that you will have a handle on dates.

PH

I understood that the tip goes dark just BEFORE the new queen emerges ... could you have calculated your dates wrong?

Thanks
Will recheck dates but according to notes should have hatched around four days ago.

Good tip about checking the cell.

regards

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

A queencell is 'bronzed' as the bees remove the wax - eager to help the queen out. It's not uncommon for a queencell to be sealed up again - sometimes with a small bee inside. Usually the wrong way around. See if the tip comes off with some gentle assistance.

If you have several queencells are you risking castes?

Didn't know about the bronzing. Thanks for that.

Yes did leave 2 in one give but was a small nuc which I am hoping will not cast. Your probably right though in hindsight should have left one only.

If the queen emerged normally, there is opening at the tip. If another queen kills the queencell, it has a hole on side. - You left 2 cells.

If the bees are calm and just resting on frames, hive is ok. If they do not have a queen, they are nervous. They veltilate easily with their abdomen gland and rush here and there.

Let the queen be and don't try to search her. It is better put a test frame with your larvae if you do not stand uncertain existens.

Yesterday I hunted a virgin from 2 box farse swarm. I must seach 6 times every frame before I noticed the queen. It was very similar as a worker. I noticed it when it run in nervous way.

Last edited:
Thanks Finman
I will go add the test frame today.

I would say it's too early to add a test frame. The queens are hardly out - assuming they are. Check the queencells. As there's two its unlikely that both will be duff - the bronzing is because the bees know there's a queen in there. They wouldn't do it otherwise. (They don't always do it by the way).
Add a test frame 3 weeks after emergence if you're worried.

Latest posts

Back