Queen Banking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
A few questions on queen storge ,any advice welcome.
1, When banking queens do you only have the queen in the cage.
2, How long can they stay caged up (banked).
3, How many queens can you store in a hive.

Thanks
WB

A few questions on queen storge ,any advice welcome.
1, When banking queens do you only have the queen in the cage.
2, How long can they stay caged up (banked).
3, How many queens can you store in a hive.

Thanks
WB

I've not banked queens in a hive, but I've kept them for nearly a month in a cage with attendants(changing the odd corpse for a fresh attendant occasionally)

Thanks mbc,been googling through out this evening and seems straight forward.Ithink!

Yes Dr
out of reach from the colony queen.

So to save us all looking it up, what are the answers WB?

how long? - virgins or mated? former obviously not for long. the latter for as long as necessary (see below)
how many? - perhaps this might help!:

http://www.beesource.com/files/21bankingframe.jpg

accompanying text from beesource:
"Here’s a picture of a frame that can hold 60 queens. The hive is prepared by putting the queen below an excluder, then some frames of young larvae are put up above the excluder, and the banking frame is put between the brood frames. When i was doing this commercially we could store up to around 180 queens in a queen bank hive, although less is better. The hive was maintained weekly by lifting fresh frames of eggs and young larvae up around the banking frames to keep a good supply of nurse bees there. They feed the queens through the wire and queens will often continue to lay, the cages will sometimes have a pile of eggs in the bottom.

The frame is built to fit in a standard lang with correct bee space (same as a normal frame but wider). 3 shelves works best for good cage size. The cages were made from strips of timber 1 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick, and 1 7/8 inch long. Just cut timber to those lengths, assemble as per the pic and cut the door and the mesh to fit. Leave a little bit of wiggle room on the door but not too much.

Queen banking attracts controversy because some people believe keeping the queen locked up for a couple of months must have a bad effect on her, although it has never been proved one way or the other. However it sometimes has to be done if there just isn’t anywhere else for the breeder to put his spare queens temporarily.

Other literature on queen banking talks about losses, and sometimes recommends keeping quite a low number of banked queens in a hive. However I don’t remember ever losing a queen in a bank, I think it’s just about having a healthy strong hive, and not asking more of them than what they can do."

Last edited:
thats it Dr .
Beat me to a full post lol

of course now we all understand what's involved - when in need of a short episode of "me time" one can always tell the OH that one is popping off for a spot of urgent "queen banking"

Last edited:
You may keep a virgin queen in the cage two days. Then bees bees become nervous and make cluster around the cage and after a while they want to kill the virgin.

You should make nucs so that the queen emerge inthe nuc or you may give the queen as soon as possible.

My friend kept queens in cage 5 days and the mating of those queens went wrong. He was a professional bee breeder.

So the cage is a wrong Banking Method.

"But never with II queens until they have run free in a nuc for several days to migrate the sperm properly...."

a bit like having a lie down after IVF?

how long? - virgins or mated? former obviously not for long. the latter for as long as necessary (see below)
how many? - perhaps this might help!:. However I don’t remember ever losing a queen in a bank, I think it’s just about having a healthy strong hive, and not asking more of them than what they can do."

that guy talks nonsence. 180 queens in cages and no losses.
I know some ferfect beekeepers but not so perfect.

When you must make nucs, why don't you make them at once and not after 3 days.
Take bees from rearing hive and take the nucs away from home yard.

Why to rear 180 queens if you do not have time to handle them properly.

.queens do not become better if you handle them in extreme way.

I have reared 45 years queens and very seldom things go as they should go.
I have allways more or less losses. Caging queens several days is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Dr J Latshaw,among others, inseminates rather a lot of queens and banks them before and after insemination until needed.

Reactions: mbc
You may keep a virgin queen in the cage two days. Then bees bees become nervous and make cluster around the cage and after a while they want to kill the virgin.

Yes, I know....rain's stopped so can go and pinch a cupful of bees for the one in the kitchen (day 2...) and put the other apidea out somewhere sheltered from the day before swathed in insulation...supposedly 16-19 degrees today but windy and I've got around ten VQs coming up to mating age (mostly in nucs due to the weather) but still 2 degrees forecast at night. Fingers crossed...

I have a few that im waiting until tomorrow to put out into mating hives.
Looks like we have a nice break in the weather coming here,so heres hoping all goes well.

Dr J Latshaw,among others, inseminates rather a lot of queens and banks them before and after insemination until needed.

ok. He surely knows what to do.

I do not know what is the idea of banking.

Insemination is meant to produce mother queens. They are not meant to productive hives.

I asked from an Australian university queen researcher, who is a specialit in inseminating, I ask,
does the queen need proper feeding after birth? A worker needs lots of pollen during its first 5 days to fulfill its growth.

Australian guy said that he does not know a single queen breeders who lets the queens emerge in the cage. They let the queens emerge in nugs.

Yes we have styles.

When I have ready nuc boxes, I need only one frame of bees to start the nuc. Then queencell into the nuc. I rear about 50 queens in a year. I have about 20 nucs.

I abandon all superceded queens. They are daughters of sick queens and not selected by me.
My experiences about their productivity are not good.

My banking idea is from once mated,not before.
As for II queens ,i have read a bit about them being used as basic colony Queens now.

Insemination is meant to produce mother queens. They are not meant to productive hives.

Erm, what? All our II queens will be used for breeder queen, drone mother AND standard production colonies. And to assess for breeders you need them to produce....

Latest posts

Back