Ptting a collected swarm in a nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
Despite adding anther brood box and super well before time, cheking for Queen cells,etc my lot still swarmed but they are in a tree above the hive so i will be getting them back tonight. I have a 5 frame nuc ready. Should i just collect then directly into the Nuc and then add some frames and a frame of stores on top/amonst them or put the frames in first and drop the bees in on top...or doesnt it matter.?

First time i,ve actually done this.

Thanks

If you wait until tonight to collect the swarm they may be gone.
I collected a cast last year directly into a nuc, and then gently added the frames, they stayed put.

I use a wicker basket to collect swarms. You would be surprised how heavy a swarm and a nuc can be if you are up a ladder! I then bring the basket down and shake them into an empty nuc ( or hive) and put the frames in on top, don't press the frames down just lay them in and as the bees get out of the way they will sink to the bottom, the hard thing is getting the lid on without too many bees. It is very satisfying collecting swarms, be calm and think about each thing before you do it. Safety first if ladders involved.
But I agree with suzi, one of my swarms lasted two hours in a tree before they flew away over the hills! Tonight may be just too late!
E

Thanks guys
A cardboard box may be an idea.
They have been there 2 days as i have been working away and couldnt get anyone else to go and fetch them.

Hopefully be there tonight
Phill

My cast was up at the top of a holly hedge, 15', two ladders, one on either side of the swarm, I shook, and my mate caught in a bowl, climbed down and plonked them into the nuc, then frames in slowly. If it is a Pa***s poly nuc I would block off access to the feeder or they will draw comb in there, and much better they draw comb in the proper place. I pulled out a perfectly layed up comb from the feeder. Such a waste.

If you have time check out the JP the beeman on youtube. It may take a couple of shakes, depends if you get the queen first time. If you are shaking in to a box with frames putting another empty box on top to act as a funnel may help. Good Luck!

Do let us know how you get on!

bees first then slide frames in on top gently.

Let the foundation frames sink into the bees under their own weight -- don't push them down!

Normally not good practice to feed for a couple of days, but since they have been in the tree for a couple of days ...
One frame with drawn comb can help them to settle in the nuc/hive.

Once they are settled in the new box (a few days), it is a great time to treat for varroa (because they have no sealed brood to shelter varroa).
All the mites will be on bees, and so vulnerable.
Even icing sugar is better than nothing ...

Normally not good practice to feed for a couple of days,

I wouldn't be overly worried if they were clearly of my own stock.

I have a 5 frame nuc ready.

Likely inadequate if the swarm is a good prime.

Normally not good practice to feed for a couple of days,

I wouldn't be overly worried if they were clearly of my own stock.

Apart from disease questions, in the recent discussion of (Outlander's?) absconding swarm, the point was made that early feeding can merely refuel the bees and prime them for a second attempt to get away.
A little bit of drawn comb and maybe even a bit of brood will be much better "anchors" than a frame of stores or a full feeder!

Hi all
Despite adding anther brood box and super well before time, cheking for Queen cells,etc my lot still swarmed ...

Don't forget to minimise the number of QCs in the old hive.
There will likely be lots.
If you leave plural, they would potentially be able send out casts.
However, if all the QCs are sealed, it makes sense to leave a couple*. Because you can't be certain that they are any good. You don't know what is in there!
If you have an open, big, juicy, charged QC that you can be sure of, reduce to just that one.

You need to leave the colony severely alone for a while, after the Princess emerges.
But until 'coming out day', you need to watch that they don't create more QCs - they could do that 5 days after the swarm (and Q) departed.
So check, and check again! Just be gentle - no bumping or shaking of the chosen QC frame - you did mark it with a Drawing Pin, didn't you? :)

*If you have another nuc or Apidea(s), you could be thinking of letting each Princess emerge in her own hive, and combining later after you see who has mated successfully (or not).

Back