Pseudoscorpion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIK they are small predators - so presumably making a living off all the tiny insects and mites that live in a beehive.

To the best of my knowledge they have never been know to be a major problem

I read, somewhere, about pseudoscorpions being sold as a biological varroa control in the Netherlands. I don't think they're the same creature as the velvet mite.

I read, somewhere, about pseudoscorpions being sold as a biological varroa control in the Netherlands. I don't think they're the same creature as the velvet mite.

I started the original link after reading about them as the beekeepers friend in Nepal. The pseudoscorpions will attack wax moth larvae, varroa maybe small hive beetle. They have been ignored in this country for many years. Below is a very interesting IBRA link
http://www.ibra.org.uk/articles/20080611_26

pseudoscorpions have been living in the walls of Ongar railway station for over 25 years which is near Chelmsford and they do not appear to have spread very far or fast.

pseudoscorpions have been living in the walls of Ongar railway station for over 25 years which is near Chelmsford and they do not appear to have spread very far or fast.

Are you sure these are not true scorpions - Euscorpius flavicaudis which is not native and I believe originated from Tilbury docks.

False Scorpions on the other hand are native.

Latest posts

Back