Pruning a hornbeam hedge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I have grubbed out a leylandi hedge and replaced it with hornbeam saplings of various sizes (2' to 4') which self seed all over the garden.

I'm aiming for a hedge approx 4' high and 2' wide - not stock proof but as a privacy screen.

Has anyone got any hints on when to prune, how to prune to encourage density and height and width control.

So far only about 5yds planted but if successful 95 more yds planned so it's a long term project:icon_204-2:

where I am from they are very popular to make hedges. we just shape them with electric shears as often as needed but not too late in the season as the dry leaves hang on to the plant a bit and are said to protect against frost. not a gardener myself so don't take my word for it.

I have grubbed out a leylandi hedge and replaced it with hornbeam saplings of various sizes (2' to 4') which self seed all over the garden.

I'm aiming for a hedge approx 4' high and 2' wide - not stock proof but as a privacy screen.

Has anyone got any hints on when to prune, how to prune to encourage density and height and width control.

So far only about 5yds planted but if successful 95 more yds planned so it's a long term project:icon_204-2:

I have hornbeam hedges. When planted I trim back 1/3rd to encourage branching, then a light trim again the next year until height required is reached. Now I cut twice a year to keep them tidy.
Cazza

Same as above, but if you don't want to reduce them by that much because you think they're too small, just pinch the tops out now to encourage them to branch, then snip off the end of any branch (twig) that grows in the direction you don't want it to grow - you want them to grow sideways along the length of the hedge rather than outwards.

If you plant the saplings at about 45 degrees, rather than vertically, it'll look strange to begin with but will help avoid too much of a gap at the bottom of the mature hedge.

You can treat Hornbeam about the same as Beech, but it will tolerate wetter soil than Beech.

Thank you all - I'll post some pictures in about 5 years time - if I'm still in the land of the living:icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back