Protecting my crocus bulbs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planted 800 crocus bulbs around my hives to give the bees a good source of early nectar last week only to find something... chief suspect is squirrels has dug them up.

I have 1000 more to plant.

Please advise on whether there is anything I can put on the bulbs to put off the squirrels...I was considering hot chilli sauce or thymol???

Would that work?? Ideas and advice please. :cheers2:

Saw something on gaardeners world that said soak bulbs in tonic water, must have quinine in it, for 1 hour prior to planting.
Seems they dont like the smell.

I saw that. Might be worth a try. Better than sticking a squirrel in a bag and :beatdeadhorse5:

:leaving:

Good God!!!......another flamin animal activist type website!!!!...written from the perspective of the squirrel!!....damn I knew they were clever little critters, but I think we've totally underestimated them, with their ability to put a webpage like that together!! :biggrinjester:

They're pests...get rid...end of :smash:

Bring back the sabre toothed tiger ; think of the benefits of employing us to rid the streets of muggers and yobbo's plus other degenerate examples of our brother humans offspring :gnorsi:.
We can't promise to be selective (flesh is flesh ) but our kills will be guaranteed to be practised under the umbrella of 'NATURAL' behaviour !!

John Wilkinson

No need milkermel.

Yes killing is supposed to be humane. I can only assume you have never watched a terrier kill a rat to make the claim it is not. The rat is dead in seconds. Far preferable to the slow lingering death caused by poisons most of which cause the animal to bleed to death slowly.

Using working terriers both to hunt to despatch vermin is legal. The exemptions in the Hunting Act 2004 specifically covers this.

Many pest control operatives use working terriers to keep down rat populations including ones employed by local authorities.
I am sure many will remember there was a BBC1 TV series that followed the activities of 2 pest controllers and their Jack Russell. That dog was filmed despatching rats on many occassions.

yes we watched the program :rofl: ( presume you didnt read the comments on the professional pest control forums about what people thought of it!) it is legal to use dogs if the animal is not already caught in a cage, but imo it can not be classed as humane if the animal is being released from a cage to be caught again and then killed. And it most certainly isnt condoned on any of the pest control courses held that i have heard off. And as for the slow bleeding to death. . . . come on get real.:rant:

Good God!!!......another flamin animal activist type website!!!!...written from the perspective of the squirrel!!....damn I knew they were clever little critters, but I think we've totally underestimated them, with their ability to put a webpage like that together!! :biggrinjester:

They're pests...get rid...end of :smash:

Lol :rofl: Where are my nuts?

You can't squish them....they're cute :reddevil:

Gardeners World on friday - Toby Buckland was soaking crocus bulbs in tonic water to deter squirrels. it has to have quinine in though to work. If it works it is a darn sight easier than shooting or trapping. You can only shoot or trap one at a time and if there are loads??

Rats are cute too.....with their little black noses :p

Seriously, I used to have a pet rat, they make excellent pets, but need to be handled regularly.

Latest posts

Back