Problem 2!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a supplier replaces a problem Q do you not have to send back the original to prove it wasn`t killed or do they take your word for it that it`s their fault ?

Darren.

I bought a Buckfastleigh queen a month ago for a queenless hive.

I have been away for a month and did my inspection today hoping to see my nice new brood.

I didnt see the queen but the brood in the national hive was all drone brood.

Nicely laid 70% coverage on frames all capped.

There were some laying worker evidence in the corners of the brood chamber with 2 to 3 eggs in the cells.

How do I fix this to give the bees the best chance of surviving winter?

Advice greatly appreciated please.

Cliff

COmbine it. If the queen was killed at introduction, it's hardly the fault of the supplier. Did you remove the attendents, and also introduce her to a small nuc before putting her in the full colony? Did you check their were no laying workers before introducing her? I'd suggest even if you got another it's too late in the season for the colony to build up and survive anyway.

Adam

In winter when bees are clustered, I hope to move all hives to new site

I would move your hives before the colonies form winter clusters, as the disturbance of moving them may disturb / disrupt the cluster such that they become chilled and the brood / colony dies out or is significantly weakened.

others may disagree, but i would move your hives sooner rather than later

Cliffdale. You have 8 colonies and are buying a couple of nucs at this time of year. That will be 10 colonies which is a lot to manage in the (next) summer when you are unsure as to what you are doing it seems. I don't want to appear rude but maybe you should not be jumping into this craft quite so rapidly??

I would move your hives before the colonies form winter clusters, as the disturbance of moving them may disturb / disrupt the cluster such that they become chilled and the brood / colony dies out or is significantly weakened.

others may disagree, but i would move your hives sooner rather than later

I agree. YOu have to be really careful if you move in winter. Disturbing can accelerate chilling significantly

Back