Pre treating plastic frames with wax for Supers.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plenty of honey

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
260 + (Nucs and Honey production)
Hi All, We briefly touched on this subject earlier in the year, but can anyone tell me if they have ever pre treated the Nicot plastic super frames with wax.
Was it painted on, Rubbed on by hand, or sprayed.
I am putting together another 60 supers for next years expansions and dont want to leave it to chance of having a really strong flow to build out these new supers. This year, i borrowed some extra. These were brand new and in most cases they were drawn out because our spring flow was so strong.

However i have read that if their rubbed over, sprayed or painted with wax, prior to use, this makes a difference in the bees willingness to draw comb.
I have 600 frames so getting it right while we have a little time over the winter is important!!
Feedback very welcome please.

I used a cheap 6" roller to do mine with hot wax, took approx 2 seconds a side. I used a kochstar wax melter to keep the wax liquid. The bees then drew them out a treat, I was quite generous with the wax too. I've seen lots that haven't been waxed or done properly (including brood frames). and the results were comical.

can anyone tell me if they have ever pre treated the Nicot plastic super frames with wax.

Its completely unnecessary. They will draw untreated plastic exactly the same as ordinary foundation on a strong flow. You might find it best to alternate them with drawn combs or they may draw comb between the frames in a box consisting entirely of plastic.
Personally, I would recommend against plastic. Those of us who have had it for a while either have already ditched it or are gradually replacing it. Its one of those things that seems like a great idea but carries some hidden dangers (e.g. disease issues).

However i have read that if their rubbed over, sprayed or painted with wax, prior to use, this makes a difference in the bees willingness to draw comb.

Let the bees tell you which they prefer most, mix some frames of unwaxed plastic foundation in with some frames fitted with normal beeswax foundation.

Let the bees tell you which they prefer most, mix some frames of unwaxed plastic foundation in with some frames fitted with normal beeswax foundation.

Thanks Hivemaker and B+, the only issue with that is that last year we found that putting undrawn, new plastic frames causes an issue with space during building. we have to get them drawn up at a spacing of 10 frames per super, then after they have been built out (after harvesting), they can be spaced at 8 frames per super. Then the bees dont build rafts between the combs. They did that in some of my 9 framed new frames this year, which funnily enough does give you a bit of lovely fresh comb honey lol!
Just trying to find best ways of assisting them draw up faster. I agree if your on a strong flow with lots of nurse bees in there second week of duties, there dosent seem to be a problem. However if theres a slow spring it seems that pre waxing will help in the worst case scenario!! but thanks for your input, much appreciated!!

A lot of the supers i've looked in where there has been a mix of wood/wax and plastic, I've noticed the bees will avoid the plastic and prefer the wood/wax frames. I only had a few 100 plastic ones because they were really cheap, otherwise I prefer wood. That goes for hives too.

we have to get them drawn up at a spacing of 10 frames per super, then after they have been built out (after harvesting), they can be spaced at 8 frames per super. Then the bees dont build rafts between the combs.

Thats right. You must fill the box. Don't leave any frames out or they will fill it with brace comb (no matter if its wax or plastic).
Try to make sure that the outer combs are drawn too. They tend to work better in the center where it is warm.
I would only give them 1 or 2 frames at the start of the season. Don't overload them with foundation (either wax or plastic) or they will just make a mess of it
gl

Ours are painted with melted wax, using a 4 inch brush-be sure to get right into the corners. It doesn't seem to matter if you put too much on, but actually very little is needed to make all the difference. We draw them as a second super, above a super of drawn comb. 5 frames of plastic, tight together in the centre of the box, flanked by 2 drawn frames on either side. When it goes right, it's unbelievably perfect but, as with everything bees, some hives just don't read the instructions. Once they're drawn I love the strength of plastic foundation for heather loosening,high speed extraction and general robustness, but I admit there is a level of unpredictability that's not there with wax foundation.

Latest posts

Back