Potential site for Hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbgould

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone.

I am considering starting beekeeping and am looking at having a hive in my garden. We have a large garden which is none estate location on the edge of town. We have been considering and researching for at least 2 years but wondered if the experienced bee keepers on this site would be able to advise of any potential problems with this in general.
We have identified an area in the garden away from the house which is next to our poly tunnel. We plan to face the hive south facing towards the side of the poly tunnel.
Do you see any problems with it being this close to the poly tunnel? We wondered if we might be creating a bee trap for them getting stuck inside. We plan to fence the area off so access to the rest of the garden for people and pets will be through the poly Tunel or around to the other side so it should not disturb the hive.

Please let me know what you think - any idvice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks
BB

Hi

I have hives that face towards the long side of a polytunnel - for the simple reason it forces them to fly over 1.8m, which is above headheight.

Works a treat!!

:iagree: that there are many good threads on this subject.
But my main advice would be to err on the side of caution when it comes to garden beekeeping. Keep the worst case scenario in mind and make sure you have an out apiary available for if things go pear-shaped.
(Out apiary doesn't need to be anything special, maybe just find a farmer who is willing to let you use a corner of an isolated field every now and again).

Thank you for your advice.
There is alot for me to consider.
I have a possible site to use for an out apiary if needed but is this WHEN needed or IF needed? I do intend for both my wife and I to go on a beginers course before we make any decisions as to if this is the right hobby for us. If there is a need for an out apiary how long in general would it take for things to calm enough to return to the garden? Or is this like asking how long is a peice of string??
The area we live in we are surrounded by OSR would this make an out apiary more of a necessity?
All these questions!! ANy help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

I don't understand why you should need an out apiary ? ......I've managed without one for twenty years in a lot less space than you have available

I have a possible site to use for an out apiary if needed but is this WHEN needed or IF needed? ...
That, as you will surely note, is a subject of heated debate on here!

You do need to be fussy about having good-tempered bees, for a garden setting.
So you need to have that Plan B, for the eventuality that they become anti-social. (Whether its if *or* when, the option has to be there!)
That out-apiary site needs to be at least three miles away (as the bee flies), because otherwise there's a significant chance that many of them would just come back to their old home location, entirely of their own accord.

After re-queening, the bees' "personality" can change quite dramatically, but traits like "following" seem to be genetic, which would take an entire brood cycle (six weeks in summer) to eliminate.

I don't understand why you should need an out apiary ? ......I've managed without one for twenty years in a lot less space than you have available

Everyone is different Richard. There have been a few threads on this forum where people have resorted to killing off their colonies because they had become aggressive and were causing a problem with the neighbours.
An out apiary could have made a less drastic option possible.

gbh

thanks, I've missed seeing those threads - and I don't want to be contentious

.......however, 'BB' should be aware that the majority of urban Beekeepers don't have anywhere to move troublesome hives to.

richard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back