Posting Cut Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobba

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had intended to make lots of chunk honey, but over did it a bit on Cut Comb production. So now I have excess cut comb to sell witch is not something I intended.

I have had customers requesting whole frames of comb, but I need to post it to them.

I have explained I am not sure how I will post it yet and that I may have to remove it from the frame, chop it up and box it to post.

Has anyone got experience posting whole frames?

Or does anyone know what size takeaway tub will hold a whole frames worth of comb?

Thanks as always.

I had intended to make lots of chunk honey, but over did it a bit on Cut Comb production. So now I have excess cut comb to sell witch is not something I intended.

I have had customers requesting whole frames of comb, but I need to post it to them.

I have explained I am not sure how I will post it yet and that I may have to remove it from the frame, chop it up and box it to post.

Has anyone got experience posting whole frames?

Or does anyone know what size takeaway tub will hold a whole frames worth of comb?

Thanks as always.
Try honeyframepackaging.co.uk

Try honeyframepackaging.co.uk

It does not look like it will get a comb safely through most uk postal systems. Yet they do offer a frame posted for £60 inc p&p. I suspect they must have an arrangement with a courier that will handle their packages with kid gloves.

If you intend to post it yourself, the first step would be to put the frame into a plastic bag and Sellotape it shut so nothing can leak.

If it were me (and I've sent glass and china through the post with no breakages before) I'd use a technique called double wrapping. First you wrap your frame in corrugated card, you can cut up old boxes to do this, sellotaping as you go. Then a layer of bubble wrap ( again recycle it if you've got it). Another layer of card then one more bubbles (or packing chips if you've got them) and into a box.

The way you have to think is that in a postal sorting office they use large cages to move packets around. You have to pack your item as though it will be on the bottom layer (which involves dropping it approx. 4 feet (say 1.5 metres) into the cage, and then have everyone else's packets on top.

Then a quick disclaimer to the customer that although you pack with care you can't guarantee the postal service won't break or crush it. Onto the Royal mail website to get a quote on prices and off you go. Personally I'd use royal mail rather than a courier but that's just personal choice.

If you intend to post it yourself, the first step would be to put the frame into a plastic bag and Sellotape it shut so nothing can leak.

If it were me (and I've sent glass and china through the post with no breakages before) I'd use a technique called double wrapping. First you wrap your frame in corrugated card, you can cut up old boxes to do this, sellotaping as you go. Then a layer of bubble wrap ( again recycle it if you've got it). Another layer of card then one more bubbles (or packing chips if you've got them) and into a box.

The way you have to think is that in a postal sorting office they use large cages to move packets around. You have to pack your item as though it will be on the bottom layer (which involves dropping it approx. 4 feet (say 1.5 metres) into the cage, and then have everyone else's packets on top.

Then a quick disclaimer to the customer that although you pack with care you can't guarantee the postal service won't break or crush it. Onto the Royal mail website to get a quote on prices and off you go. Personally I'd use royal mail rather than a courier but that's just personal choice.

Thanks. I sell old tat on ebay so have done my fair share of packing.

I just worry that no matter how well I pack a whole frame, if it gets dropped and jolted, then its going to break.

honeyframepackaging.co.uk

The box and frame are well-made but it looks to me that it's a point of sale or gift box; nowhere on the website does it mention posting.

Drawback for me is that the box is printed with copy in need of editing, and that pre-printing prevents wider use with company branding. I asked to buy unprinted boxes and stands in bulk, but the producer wasn't interested.

We've posted combs in the past by sandwiching a frame between two 4mm ply sheets; never had complaints. Manley frames are best for comb honey as the straight side bars give good protection and can be jacketed tight.

Pembroke's double-wrapping seems safest.

The box and frame are well-made but it looks to me that it's a point of sale or gift box; nowhere on the website does it mention posting.

Drawback for me is that the box is printed with copy in need of editing, and that pre-printing prevents wider use with company branding. I asked to buy unprinted boxes and stands in bulk, but the producer wasn't interested.

We've posted combs in the past by sandwiching a frame between two 4mm ply sheets; never had complaints. Manley frames are best for comb honey as the straight side bars give good protection and can be jacketed tight.

Pembroke's double-wrapping seems safest.

https://www.honeyframepackaging.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=264591
bottom of the page:

Honey Comb (OUT OF STOCK)
1 x Full Frame of Natural Balsam Honey packaged in our box including UK Postage to mainland addresses only.
CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK

But I agree with you, looks more like a point of sale box.

Mine are on Manley, a ply sandwich had crossed my mind. I have some boxes to try first. The customers are all happy for me to cut it from the frame, so I just think it will be safer and easier to box it.

Would be nice to get them to the customer in one piece though as they are pretty:

Attachments

• DSC_0310(1).JPG
    DSC_0310(1).JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0313.JPG
    DSC_0313.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
However we’ll packed I’d be dubious about putting any frame into the normal postal/delivery service.

I went with a 1.3L box from Asda for £1 in the end.

It holds the comb from one frame cut in half and placed into the box in 2 layers.

I am very happy with these boxes so thats what I will be using.

Attachments

• DSC_0316.JPG
    DSC_0316.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0317.JPG
    DSC_0317.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 13
Alternatively could you freeze it then package up using many layers of bubble wrap and use next day service? Worked with some haggis I made a few years back.

I considered the freezing route, but as Ian says frozen wax can be brittle. Then there is all the extra packing faff, so easier just to pop it in a box.

Latest posts

Back