poor and junk equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a new beekeeper. I went to the spring convention in Newport and got into conversation with a Director of one of the big vendors. I asked him where his good stuff was. I was told that in the past they would showcase the best their best but now they only sell the seconds at shows because that's all people come for.

Personally I'm all for competition and buying cheap but the wholesale price of honey needs to be higher. It's time we had a an organisation of honey producers. Like OPEC, but for honey. £5 a pound wholesale minimum. Everyone abides by it. Job done. We can all afford better kit.

??
You discarded some over a period of time and then claimed you were some sidebars short?

Why not? Rather than bother them for a replacement here and there wait till the end and see what you need, if they replace happy days :ohthedrama:

Maybe I'm just too honest.
I don't see there being a shortage as some were discarded over time. Some were chucked away. Well tell them the truth and maybe they wouldn't be so magnanimous.

I don't see there being a shortage as some were discarded over time. Some were chucked away. Well tell them the truth and maybe they wouldn't be so magnanimous.

:iagree:
You expect there to be the odd reject with second quality (it says that in the caveats) to discard a bad part then tell the supplier you were short changed is just dishonesty.

The order was not short of wood, just it included some kindling as well.
They were told the truth!!!!!!!!!
i.e. Some of your product was not merchantable quality, can you send me some replacements. I will pay!!!!!! Hoping they wouldn't be gold plated.
The reply, oh no sir you have bought quite a lot of this product from us, we will send some f.o.c.

OR should I have just complained on here about them being suppliers of rubbish as per this thread about rubbish or gold plated gear.

Just as I say at the end of the day I had a lot frame bits looking for mating parts. Maybe I was short of top bars as well & so even more side bars. I dunno but I now have complete frames. Whether they add up to a round 50. I have no idea & don't care either, they are 2nd's and you expect to drop a few bits along the way. Just that those few bits I had left if assembled would have filled a box and do so now. Whoopee job done, so whats the problem.

well im 100% for you Swarm

??
You discarded some over a period of time and then claimed you were some sidebars short?

No
Get a hold of the right end of the stick before you go jumping in.
I asked to purchase some, but after checking my a/c, I was offered some f.o.c incl del.
What was I supposed to do? Decline the offer or maybe ask on here for advice.

After finally finishing putting hundreds of their 2nd quality frames together. I found I was some side bars short after discarding a few over a period of time. They (Big T) happily sent replacements within a couple of days. I would have waited to collect at the next sale but no problem.

No good being arsey when you leave out the important bits that you add later.

Where is all this junk, called bee keeping equipment, we are being supplied coming from? Just took delivery of some castellated spacers from Wynn Jones and they were not much thicker than bacofoil.

I put my calipers on some in a box i repared last year and those were .86mm thick. These just delivered at great expense were .46 mm thick and you could bend them with your fingers. On top of that they were sharpe enough to slice through your finger.

I am sick to the teeth of junk held together with the thinnest staple you have ever seen, boxes with knots all over them and frames made out of sap wood. We have all just go to start sending this junk back .. we spend a lot of time controlling varroa but some of these suppliers to the industry are out of control milking what has become a major hobby in this country.:hairpull:

If it is rubbish, you should a) complain and b) send it back.

I haven't seen a major drop in quality, but I've only been at it six years.

Latest posts

Back