• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

polystyrene commercial hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the best of my knowledge there is no manufacturer of commercial sized polystyrene hives. Years ago some examples of such hives made from sheet polystyrene came on the market; they were not very satisfactory.
It might be possible to convert polystyrene national hives, with the same internal dimensions as a wooden national, to commercial size.

Last edited:
Let me know if you come across any! I've been looking for some with no success. I really don't want to change everything over to a different size.
Good luck.

A commercial brood frame is 16" x 10", so modifying a deep langstroth is a possibility. One lives in hope that some manufacturer with initiative will spare one the bother!

Do you have any idea of the 'set up' costs for injection moulding? That is the reason why Langstroths were available a long time ago, but Nationals only relatively recently. Commercials are distinctly few and far between in the context of Langstroth numbers.

No doubt what you say is correct, but I often wonder why high density polystyrene is not available to buy in 8' x 4' sheets. Probably for similar reasons.

Hi Oliver90owner, its exactly what the suppliers said simply not enough demand for commercial polly's... looks like my only option will be to try and convert got to much invested in equipment to change over now.

thanks for reply's everyone

looks like my only option will be to try and convert

Quick and easy to cut down a poly 14x12 national box to the correct depth, then two rebates in the top two sides for the frame lugs to rest, same result as using a Hamilton convertor.

Back