Polys for double brood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Footprint would be more important to me. I just want to make sure that whatever format I buy supports double national brood and not end up with boxes you can't stack on top of each other with the correct bee space.

Read some of the above.. Abelo has exactly the same footprint as the national wooden boxes.. i use both in summer mixed together... we have other threads on here from the past regarding this subject... ;)

The hard edges solve a problem that never existed in the first place and.... to the inexperienced with plain poly...instinctively sounds good.

Would be elaborate on the correct technique, please?

I find with polynucs that the hive tool can distort the poly as I try to open particularly well struck together boxes - I've no doubt this is my technique rather than the boxes.

I like Swienty and don't like Lyson. In Lyson the bees just failed to thrive and that was with three different colonies. I gave it away. If

Can't stand Swienty myself, no bottom recess, only take 10 frames.
I think basing a whole prejudice for a manufacturer based on experience of using one single Langstroth hive is ...shall we say... a bit silly.
Mate of mine who uses solely Abelo/Lyson Langstroth's averages between 150-200lb of honey per hive per year and has done for several years. That is hardly failing to thrive....is it?

I've tried full-size poly hives in the past and struggled to get on with them .....

It may help if you specify the problems/issues you have encountered in the past.

I use a few paynes double brood with little effort. The only real issue is compatibility with wooden equipment. Normally find somebody on here has thought of a niffty solution though.

Footprint would be more important to me. I just want to make sure that whatever format I buy supports double national brood and not end up with boxes you can't stack on top of each other with the correct bee space.

I've already told you, Domino: all National poly hives can be used as doubles apart from Paradise Bee Boxes - and even they can be used as doubles if necessary, but not ideal because of the lack of a proper bee space between the boxes.

For compatibility with your wooden hives: use poly hives with small footprints - Swienty or Abelo - and choose between those.

Kitta

I've already told you, Domino: all National poly hives can be used as doubles apart from Paradise Bee Boxes - and even they can be used as doubles if necessary, but not ideal because of the lack of a proper bee space between the boxes.

For compatibility with your wooden hives: use poly hives with small footprints - Swienty or Abelo - and choose between those.

Kitta

Cheers

I have swienty hives but do seem to think they are a bit soft. They do hold up reasonably well and are easy to repair.

Bees do very well in them.

Dont have experience of other poly hives but really like the BS Honey Bees nuc material.

Its 120g/l as opposed to 100g/l so a bit harder but no so much to be detrimental to the insulation properties.

I have swienty hives but do seem to think they are a bit soft. They do hold up reasonably well and are easy to repair.

Bees do very well in them.

Dont have experience of other poly hives but really like the BS Honey Bees nuc material.

Its 120g/l as opposed to 100g/l so a bit harder but no so much to be detrimental to the insulation properties.

From what i have seen on this thread you will end up doing this..:beatdeadhorse5:

Dont have experience of other poly hives but really like the BS Honey Bees nuc material..

I bought ten of those last year and they've been great, nice thick roofs - you are right very robust.

I have around fifty swienty 14x12, only one has been eaten through on the thin edge and that was because I was doing an amalgamation and forgot about it, it got left for three weeks. All hives are painted black and the inside of the thin edge then liberal coated with Vaseline, I use a timber solid floor, crown board and 4'' roof that is insulated.

I lost a hive off the top of a stack on my landy when moving from the rape, strap broke at thirty mph, hive went bouncing down the road and even though looked worse for wear I picked it up and threw back on vehicle and after a bit of tlc still has bees in it, timber would have been firewood.

Ten frames is not an issue as bees fill them wall to wall. Poly's go to rape and heather, timber gets left on site.

Bee space not an issue if use the frame runners with the large flat edge horizontal which gives top bee space.

I have used Lyson/Abelo national brood and super boxes for a coupe of seasons now and i like them.. you have the added option of being able to use all your old wooden national boxes also with the Lyson boxes as they have the same footprint..

They also have hard plastic surfaces above and below so you do not destroy the poly boxes with the hive tool.

That second photo
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16192&d=1540717046
looks like you have painted the inside with white paint, if so what paint did you use, or if you did not, then what paint could be used?

Why do the lyson boxes have holes in the sides?

Why do the lyson boxes have holes in the sides?

If you need to ask the question then you will start to realise how backwards UK beekeeping is.
They come with poly inserts..fully closed..
They come with ventilation inserts...used this summer.
They also can be fully open and used as second entrances.
The choice is yours...few other hives give you these options.

If you need to ask the question then you will start to realise how backwards UK beekeeping is.

I needed to ask because I didn't know and the product literature didn't provide an answer.

Have no idea what you are on about! Spouting nonsense no doubt

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Have no idea what you are on about! Spouting nonsense no doubt

Not spouting anything but if you do not understand what i meant in jest then so be it.. i will not explain.. edited to add can you not see smiles..??

Last edited:
I had no idea what you were talking about, jest or no jest!

Latest posts

Back