Poly supers frame spacing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have mainly Swienty supers and some new Abelo ones to try this year.

9 Manley frames fit the Swienty supers which is good for me as no messing with changing spacing as frames drawn, fiddling with spacers or castellations etc. But the fit is too snug once they are propolised and the corner dovetail joint is forced apart. It can be a pain to remove the first frame as well but at least when taking a super off the frames in the lower box stay put.

Abelo supers - fit 11 Hoffman Sn4 frames well but not 10 Manleys.

What are others using?

(are frame spacers, Manley frames and castellations are a British affliction? I recall reading somewhere that worldwide Hoffman spacing in supers is more common. Is the yield gain from having wider spacing not deemed worth the effort?)

When bees draw super foundations, the spacing muct be normal 35 mm.
Then with ready combs I take one frame off, -1. Two frames are too much.

I glue my Swienty supers and then use 10 x SN4 and a SN1 dummy frame.

Works a treat and fits the space exactly

I run between 8 and 9 Manley frames as some boxes take the 9 and some oddly do not. These are Swienty units. Does it make much of an odds? Nope.

The 8's are thicker than the 9's but they all make lovely cut comb which is all I produce.

PH

9 Manley frames fit the Swienty supers which is good for me as no messing with changing spacing as frames drawn, fiddling with spacers or castellations etc. But the fit is too snug once they are propolised and the corner dovetail joint is forced apart.

Wait until they get damp and the wood swells a little :) Manley was a brilliant beekeeper but his frames should be confined to the annals of history. I have learnt my lesson with them and just given around 400 away.
That is also the big problem with swienty poly hives, the internal space is much smaller than other makes, as in they will only take 10 brood frames max etc.

Latest posts

Back