Poly nuc and Apilife Var

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmys Mum

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a P****s poly nuc which I want to treat with Apilife var.

I'm assuming that I will somehow have to seal up the open mesh floor for maximum efficacy?

Any tips on how I might easily do this ......?

Thanks
JM

Last edited:
I've just had a look at mine, and I should think the simplest way is to cut a piece of cardboard to fit over the omf and in between the "feet," and duct tape it on?

Thanks. Think you are right Luminos, although with a full compliment of bees this could end up being one of those 'you've been framed' moments! Definitely a two man job me thinks!

I think I would be inclined to close the entrance disc and tape the lid on while I was doing it, then afterwards open it and run like hell!

I have a P****s poly nuc which I want to treat with Apilife var.

I'm assuming that I will somehow have to seal up the open mesh floor for maximum efficacy?

I wouldn't worry too much about sealing the floor.
However, if you really want to do it, the easiest way would be to set the whole nuc on top of a piece of sponge/foam (think cushion, pillow, underlay, carpet, camping mattress ... that type of thing. Even a couple of thicknesses of washing-up sponge should do quite well.) A conformal layer on the outside.
The poly is much more airtight and better insulated than a conventional hive, so it is going to be more effective ('stronger') anyway.

HOWEVER, the important thing would be to avoid the ApilifeVar touching the plastic. It 'melts' the plastic on contact.
And a second thing for you to be thinking about is how much to reduce the dose to account for the smaller volume of the hive. Half?

Made mine with 6mm exterior ply offcuts and put a small block of wood the same length as the legs in the centre so when the strap is on it holds the pannel in place, and acts as handle to pull out.
Take care when using apilife var with poly as it can melt it.

See..... I just knew there was an easier way! Will try the cushion or ply idea. And yes, I was planning on a half dose. Its on 14x12s so a wee bit more volume in there than with a standard national set up
Thanks guys.

JM :)

Last edited:
melting not a problem if you use the supplied clear crownboards.

And if you take care the product cannot touch the sides!

There is a bit of top beespace for the product - unless/until you fit rails to prevent the frame lugs being stuck down with prop ...
A spare eke is a useful thing to have!

Variant on a theme...

Any tips for apiguard in a Pa*nes Poly Nuc?

Use one of their ekes an and use as instructed if it is a small nuc you can get 25g sachets, empty the contents on some card and place on the top of the frames.

much easier to use a folded sheet of kitchen towel soaked in HM thymol recipe.
fits under the clear crownboard even if beespace is tight.

Latest posts

Back