Poly Brood plus Cedar Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMH

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
What are peoples thoughts.

Need a tonne of supers and can get cedar seconds for £12.50 or swienty for £20 odd.

I already have a mix of both and like both of them.

Dont like the poly supers take 10 frames though and during flows, dont think the insulation makes a huge difference.

Does anybody else use poly broods/roofs and wooden supers as a preference?
No issues with weight btw

Yes no problems with doing that. I do the same with swienty boxes bee space and external dimensions the same

Need a tonne of supers and can get cedar seconds for £12.50 or swienty for £20 odd.

Swienty supers via Wynne jones are less than that? They may offer a bulk discount if you place a substantial order.

Last edited:
So they are!

Ill give them a ring and see what they can offer.

cheers.

I already have a mix of both and like both of them.

Dont like the poly supers take 10 frames though and during flows, dont think the insulation makes a huge difference.

Does anybody else use poly broods/roofs and wooden supers as a preference?
No issues with weight btw

Paynes poly supers are only £14 when purchasing more than 10 in the sales. Ive got 45 in front of me to paint.
You could argue insulation is just as important for processing honey, thats why i keep the celotex under my poly roofs year round now.

Hmmm. Plenty to think about.

I'm bought into Swienty so unless something else matches the exterior national footprint it will be swienty or cedar.

I'd prefer to go poly route.

I'm going to ring C Wynne Jones and see what discount they can offer

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I'm bought into Swienty so unless something else matches the exterior national footprint it will be swienty or cedar.

Abelo supers etc have same footprint as National hive and take 11 frames. Currently priced at £22...but give Damien a ring...if you want enough he may well do you a good deal.

Ah thanks. That's interesting. Not sure he is gonna get anywhere near the £12.50 but I suppose that's not a fair comparison any way.

I'll give them a try. cheers

One thing is the dimensions of walls. Poly wall is 40 mm, and wooden box is narrow. If frame lays directly on the thick poly wall, it crushes lots of bees. That will be later a continuous nuisance.

Surely with a BBS set up that wouldn't happen?

TBS it would

shame about the reduction in honey ripening efficiency and the reduction in brood humidity if you go to wood supers. Theres an article on it in the BBKA news :)

Last edited:

I'm going to ring C Wynne Jones and see what discount they can offer

Contact Swienty direct - they'll definitely do a deal, and as they are over for the Tradex they could maybe bring them over then.

shame about the reduction in honey ripening efficiency and the reduction in brood humidity. Theres an article on it in the BBKA news :)

Whatever.........

Buy the Cedar ones, I doubt you'll get a poly deal as good as that. Try a couple of colonies side by side, one all poly, one with Cedar supers and tell me if you see a difference. So the choice is simple, the cheapest and your bees won't care anyway.

shame about the reduction in honey ripening efficiency and the reduction in brood humidity if you go to wood supers. Theres an article on it in the BBKA news :)

I'm blaming your talk at the NHS for the new poly hive in my shed.

I use both but following advice that Sweinty do not need gluing I did not glue them. PLEASE ignore this advice if you go the poly route.
My Sweinty poly twist and turn when they are full of honey. If I ever buy more I will glue them and consider screwing them also.
I do like Cedar seconds which are very robust particularly for migratory beekeeping.
My preference is for Abelo Poly for the following reasons
1. No need to assemble
2. No need to paint
3. I like to listen to Derek and his advice re insulation and better ripening of honey.

What evidence does he present for this better ripening?

As Derek admits, he is not a beekeeper, but his knowledge of heat transfer is sufficient.
We know that the ripening process involves the bees passing nectar mouth to mouth and mixing with enzymes. It also must be evaporated to ~18% moisture content. This is where I think his knowledge is applicable. If we can provide a suitably warm/dry area, the bees can convert the nectar to honey and ripen it.

If we can provide a suitably warm/dry area, the bees can convert the nectar to honey and ripen it.

They do it already now without providing.

Derek tries to explain everything with energy transfer.

Latest posts

Back