pollen patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So bcrazys recipe without pollen, is 3kg soya flour to 1 kg of dried yeast.

Bees will never eate such.

3 kg yeast and 1 kg soya is better but it is waste of time and materials.

Fructose is very essential in the patty because it takes moisture from air and keep patty soft.
This is one key point in patty making.

Last edited:
So what is the good of that recipe,as a pollen substitute,if the bee's won't eat it.
What recipe (without pollen) would you mix.

Last edited:
Those are just yeast, sugar, and water,no soya at all, so how much soya to use?

Good idea, 3 yeast 1 soya, vitimin tablet, ascorbic acid,sugar, honey and water. and a cement mixer.

Wikipedia says dry milk BUT:

Laboratories say that is not usefull to bees but beekeepers use it however.

We may look what it contains.

http://www.fineli.fi/food.php?foodid=672&lang=en

First is that 50% of it's weight is lactose. Bees cannot eate it.

The rest is good protein, very near of bees' needs, but there is a lack of one amino acid .

Need milk's
bees' a-acids ............................milk/need

5,3 3,3 Arginine 62 %
2,5 2,6 Histidine 104 %
5,1 4,3 Isoleucine 84 %
7,1 9,2 Leucine 130 %
6,4 7,8 Lysine 122 %
1,9 2,5 Methionine 132 %
4,1 5,6 Phenyalalamine 137 %
4,1 4,5 Threomine 110 %
1,4 it is, but not seen Trypotophane
5,8 5,7 Valine 98 %

Scimmed milk is very expencive compared to soya and dried yeast.

Looks to me like no matter where you look every single recipe is different,so perhaps just mix it up and see if the bee's eat it.

Looks to me like no matter where you look every single recipe is different,so perhaps just mix it up and see if the bee's eat it.

There is no single recipe. If you want that bees eate it really much, it must be good.

I have quite a complex recipe but when I pour stuffs toget, it is same is it simple or complex.

The complex idea is too that amino acids from different sources make perfect mix for proteins.

First 15 years I feeded pollen and honey. Now with yeast and soya bees like it better and continue eating up to early summer. With simple patty they stopped at once when they got pollen from nature.

It makes hard to folks to understand that protein is mix of amino acids and what are aminoacids.

Thats what i mean,make it really palatable for the bee's,like you say you started with just pollen and honey,so add yeast and soya flour and vitimins and sugar to the mix and they like it even more.

Thats what i mean,make it really palatable for the bee's,like you say you started with just pollen and honey,so add yeast and soya flour and vitimins and sugar to the mix and they like it even more.

I have tried several recipes for years.

The reason is that farmers have cutted willows near my summer cottages and bees have not enough pollen in May. Too many hives. Another reason is to catch early yield from dandelion.

It would be fine if bees collect so much pollen combs that you just put then into hives in spring. But they don't.

Willows' pollen raw protein content is quite low. It is about 15% and good is 20%.

I think that is why they continue patty eating.

Last edited:
I have plenty of shallow super combs full of pollen,but do not want to put supers on the hives really early in the year,as you would say,too much vain space. so wish to build them up with pattie first,then pollen combs.

Do the bees put pollen in a super because they are trying to expand the brood nest?

Yes they do,its the top part of the arc of the nest,so i allways keep these supers to put on first,so they don,t clog any more up, and so they have this pollen. but i want to start this feeding pattie in about 3/4 weeks time,too early for supers. Also lots of colonys don,t put any pollen in supers. plus this pattie sounds like it has even more value in colony build up than just pollen clogged combs.

Last edited:
I did notice in one of the pictures in my link above it say's that the bees get stuck in even before the crownboard is on.

Hivemaker have you a clearer idea of what recipe you are going to use, as I would be more than happy to follow it.

Yes,going to do as Finman suggests,and try different mix's,but small ammount first. say 2 of soya flour to 1 of dried yeast, multi vitamin tablet,abscorbic acid powder., syrup, sugar, and honey. then if they don't like i can add more yeast. If i had pollen then i would just use Finmans recipe,but cheapest i found up till now is £325.00 for 25kg box. Then intend to trap plenty of pollen when the bee's are on the rape,as this is good pollen. Thats if it don't rain every day in spring, and snow all summer.
Will keep measurments of what i use and let you know,have ordered the yeast and soya flour. not GM

Last edited:
Thanks Hivemaker.

Dear mr Finman please sir do you know what kind of protein % rape pollen has,is it good stuff?

Latest posts

Back