pollen patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I may ask a question, re stimulation / build up?
I have minimal frozen pollen, loads of frames of granulated osr and bags of sugar. I dont want to spend a load of money on pollen mixtures if its not neccessay. What would the knowledgable guys do? They have fondant on as present and as far as I can see are healthy enough, plenty of bees and activity when (rarely) warm.

Thanks, Buzz

Rather depends on your first strong flow ad whether you want your bees to take advantage of it.

Granulated frames would slowly go back to the bees. With 18 colonies you must have some idea?

regards, RAB

Brewer’s yeast only seems to come in small homebrew sachets. Is there a source of larger quantities or can baker’s yeast be used?

Personally I think that far too much is being made of stimulation on the forum at present. Beekeeping should be about working with the seasons instead of trying to force things along.

If OSR is your main crop and you are really keen to gather as much of that as you can, by all means stimulate them with syrup and protein. I'm happy with a gentle build-up on snowdrops, willow, dandelion and various fruit trees, a crop and more build-up on OSR, then the summer of hawthorn, lime, clover, willowherb and all the other summer forage.

It is possible that your bees are in a place with no pollen available. However at most sites they will get out and find some on the better days from now onwards. It makes sense to select apiary sites with that in mind. Are yours bringing pollen in? If so, I see no need to boost them. If you were watching Who Killed The Honey Bee early in the week you'll have seen industrial-scale feeding but then these were industrial scale holding areas of thousands of colonies. It isn't necessary in most circumstances the UK - unless you want to maximise production and push your bees beyond their natural rhythm.

Gavin

Hi Gavin, an informative comment / answer.
My bees are on a fruit farm right next to a cherry orchard, with strawbs, etc. And, OSR 1/2 a mile a way. The weather up here has prevented my bees getting out for natural pollen, the OSR is my main source, other than their holidays to the Yorkshire moors for Heather. will probably get rid of the granulated stuff in a 2/3:1/3 honey / water mix and continue with the fondant until their is a regular income.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks iball. Didn't realise it was fed to horses.

If you were watching Who Killed The Honey Bee early in the week you'll have seen industrial-scale feeding but then these were industrial scale holding areas of thousands of colonies.

It isn't necessary in most circumstances the UK - unless you want to maximise production and push your bees beyond their natural rhythm.
Gavin

I have feeded pollen patty and pollen to bees in spring 20 years.

Natural rhythm - they are beyond it, yes. Nothing wrong in that.

I want maximize my production. Nothing wrong in that either.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA30BfH6FBU&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:
went through this thread and still couldn't find a recipe which includes only sugar and brewers yeast. do yo need to heat the yeast to kill it off or 50% sugar will keep it under control?

Lauri

Has any one manged to find an irridated pollen source?

I failed last Spring and would like to get organised for this time around.

PH

Holland & Barratt sell 460g drums of debittered brewers yeast powder and bags of soya flour.

If the equine soya variety is too coarse that may not be ideal. Ground peas are also used as a source of protien, but are reported to require a bit of work to make them palatable to the bees.

Pollen substitute patties - US style. For those with 5 mins spare......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX4O1yeSf8I[/ame]

Just posted for interest sake - not advocating its use (the 5 mins was to watch it, not make the stuff!!!)

Nektapoll

We used Nektapoll last year in the first week in March. Our pollen and nectar flow comes later due to our location. We split one pack between 3 hives. This worked well for us and gave the bees the boost they needed. By the time they were flying the queen had started laying well and we had good, strong colonies.

Latest posts

Back