Plastic shavings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I have three buckets of soft set honey and all of them have now got plastic shavings rising to the top. The cause is the rather sharp mixing blade touching the sides which is hard to avoid as my hands are currently in a bad way and when the mixer finds a harder part for the honey it seems to kick. So I am hoping that some time will get the rubbish to the top, and I can avoid having to warm some 200 pounds again to re-strain it. I am up against the clock as I have an operation in ten days. How do you avoid this happening? is there a plastic mixer blade out there?

PH

I have three buckets of soft set honey and all of them have now got plastic shavings rising to the top. The cause is the rather sharp mixing blade touching the sides which is hard to avoid as my hands are currently in a bad way and when the mixer finds a harder part for the honey it seems to kick. So I am hoping that some time will get the rubbish to the top, and I can avoid having to warm some 200 pounds again to re-strain it. I am up against the clock as I have an operation in ten days. How do you avoid this happening? is there a plastic mixer blade out there?

PH
Do you know anyone with a 3D printer that could print some plastic 'guards' to fit on to the steel blades ? Never seen a plastic paddle for sale ...

EDIT: Just found this little beauty but it's a tad expensive ...

https://www.raptorsupplies.co.uk/pd/kushlan/450dd
or at the other end of the spectrum (not sure it is food grade or up to the job !

https://www.therange.co.uk/decorati...d-equipment/tools/plastic-paint-mixer/#334520
I'd be inclined to melt and refilter ... it's a PITA but the last thing you want is a customer finding a bit of stray plastic shaving in their honey. The Lidl jam maker will soften 30lbs of honey in about 6 hours ... or a Burco boiler with a decent thermostat. The Lidl jam maker is the best bit of kit I've bought for ages - so many uses in beekeeping and other ways.

Last edited:
I made my own mixer paddle by beating a stainless steel spaghetti ladle flat. At first the sharp edges did exactly what yours is doing and I had to rewarm and filter again. It was soon sorted with the application of a small file or two. Now works a treat and cost me about £2 ten years ago

I have three buckets of soft set honey and all of them have now got plastic shavings rising to the top. The cause is the rather sharp mixing blade touching the sides which is hard to avoid
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this happen.
10 days is enough time to gently heat without melting, filter and jar IMHO.

I no longer use my paddle stirrer, mainly for this reason.

Latest posts

Back