Plastic frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello,my local bee supplier is selling plastic frames,has anybody used these and are their any advantages/disadvantages?Price is about the same as wooden frames.Thanks.

can you disinfect them with a flame, probably not and do you think plastic is a natural thing to have in a hive, just my opinion

can you disinfect them with a flame, probably not and do you think plastic is a natural thing to have in a hive, just my opinion

how would the plastic get infected? and with what that would be washed off with soap and water... not advocating plastic just I can see (if its the right material) they could have bennifits

Last edited:
They distort if you try to boil them up to clean them (or put them in a solar wax extractor). Wooden ones don't. They look great new and are easy to insert foundation, but a real bugger to clean up to use again. Atleast, that's how I have found them.

Meg

They distort if you try to boil them up to clean them (or put them in a solar wax extractor). Wooden ones don't. They look great new and are easy to insert foundation, but a real bugger to clean up to use again. Atleast, that's how I have found them.

Meg

True, unless you wire your own frames. Fiddly at first, but you only have to do it once. Then re-waxing is easy. No messing about with side bar grooves.

Thanks everyone,think I will stick to wooden ones.

Thanks everyone,think I will stick to wooden ones.

Why not try one super with them?
I use about 50% of supers with them, they don't get damaged when extracting, easy to clean.
They need a coating of wax which is done with a roller and some melted wax, good description of how to use at pierco.net

"good description of how to use at pierco.net"

or one could hop over to the MB website where there is a nice video of someone who looks suspiciously like our very own Rooftops doing his very bestest Dexter impression.

Latest posts

Back