Plastic frames/ foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fincaazul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Tried these for four seasons in six hives. Not really successful, many of the top bars developed a curve despite being moulded as a one piece frame. The plastic 'foundation ' base, when wax is applied develops bulges and depressions which means that frames will be drawn out ( if they are drawn out at all ) with curvy comb which make it impossible to remove frames without causing substantial bruising to adjacent frames. If Plastics chemists could get a really rigid non brittle product then I might try again.

If Plastics chemists could get a really rigid non brittle product then I might try again.

I have about 500 black Pierco frame/foundation and have been very happy with it (I use Langstroth though). Some people on the american newsgroups claim to have had a problem with it not being rigid enough but I've had no problems. I'm not sure if this is because our climate isn't as hot as theirs or I've just not been as hard on the kit as they were. Eggs are easy to see against the black foundation and the bees draw them out without any need to wax them...I just gave them to the colony straight out of the box.

Back