Plastic beehives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmadoc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everybody,
I am fairly new in beekeeping and will be gratefull for your opinion about plastic beehives. I think that the only available in the UK is technoset.
Does any one have any experience with it? will it be suittable for weather like the one we have in Scotland?
many thanks for your opinions
peter

Thanks for the information madafish but i was enquiring about plastic hives no polystyrene ones which are the ones mentions in the link thta you sent me.The only plastic ones [not made of polystyrene], are OMLET [dont like it, and price abusive] and Technoset [good video in you tube] which is the one I am personally interested but want advised about it,
many thanks again

Hi everybody,
I am fairly new in beekeeping and will be gratefull for your opinion about plastic beehives. I think that the only available in the UK is technoset.
Does any one have any experience with it? will it be suittable for weather like the one we have in Scotland?
many thanks for your opinions
peter

I have used similar hives (Nicotplast Dadant) for a number of years in North West Ireland. Bees winter in a tighter cluster than with poly and come out of winter reduced in numbers, but seem to 'rebound' more rapidly. My impression is the margin for error may be smaller if there is any disease etc., but weather is not an issue.

From watching the youtube videos, one possible problem with the Technoset is the roof ventilation. Driving rain could cause problems.

The Nicot hive is a simpler design with the same advantages of durability and ease of movement - but only available in Dadant (blatt) ....

Hi there.i'm thinking to buy two technost hives but worry about snow and and rain with gale winds going throuth roof ventilation.whats your experience with this type of hive?
many thanks for sharing your experience

Given your climatic worries, what reason do you have for turning your back on the excellent insulation of foam plastic (expanded polystyrene) hives?

Given your climatic worries, what reason do you have for turning your back on the excellent insulation of foam plastic (expanded polystyrene) hives?
Hi itma,
Polystyrene is a more fragile material and i am not sure that ventilation is as good as with plastic technoset which overall is a more robust hive and is a langstroth with the posibility of splitting hive in three wich could be advantageous.Again my main worry would be performance when you have temp of -12 bellow cero

I have seen the techno set hives and they seem very well made and look like they will last years.

Hi itma,
Polystyrene is a more fragile material and i am not sure that ventilation is as good as with plastic technoset which overall is a more robust hive and is a langstroth with the posibility of splitting hive in three wich could be advantageous.Again my main worry would be performance when you have temp of -12 bellow cero

Is Scotland colder than Finland where poly hives are made and used?

-12C is mild .. our last 2 winters saw -16C - Midlands.
My bees survived in TBHs.

I don't know anything about the technoset hives, so can't comment about their strength and longevity.

You're wrong about polystyrene hives though, they are not fragile. They are not made of the same grade polystyrene as broccoli boxes.

As for ventilation - almost all hives have open mesh floors these days. No additional ventilation is necessary.

Take a look at Into The Lion's Den's albums and you'll see poly langstroths in use commercially. He runs over 2,000 hives, many of them in the north east of Scotland. Read back through his posts and you'll see what he's written about winter survival. Try this page first http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=320897#post320897

Have you taken a stroll around the Scottish beekeepers forum?

Hi Chaps,

Sorry for the late pick up on this thread I've been extremely busy in the spinning house

a few points on the plastic hive

unique twin walled hive body protects the bees from all weather extremes so there will be more foraging and less allocating resources for temperature control.
I't is compatible with wooden Bee Hives.
BPA free to ensure food safe.
Bee Hives can be easily washed with warm soapy water.
Built in sunscreen to ensure that it is UV stable.
Comes in a range of colours.
Maintenance free so you won’t need to glue, nail, paint or sand the hive.
Does not suffer from mould contamination and cannot be damages by moths and beetles
The Bee Hives can be easily washed with warm soapy water and extremely easy to assemble.
Plastic Bee Hives are manufactured from a polypropylene compound that forms the tough exterior surfaces of the hive body, base and lid. It also comes with an 8 year guarantee.

less time in the shed repairing wooden hives and more time out beekeeping.

Hi itma,

1/ I have no idea what you are referring to by "the posibility of splitting hive in three wich could be advantageous" - but I suspect there may be something you are misunderstanding.

2/ Similarly, I fear there may be a misunderstanding about ventilation.

3/ Having looked up Technoset, I discover that the hive is said to be made of polypropylene. Thats not a great structural material, and becomes brittle at about 0ºC. Its classic use is washing-up bowls.
A twinwall construction is not going to be as well-insulated as a foam.
Beehive expanded polystyrene may be relatively soft (deliberately try to, and you can leave an impression with a fingernail), but it isn't particularly "fragile" - it doesn't break readily. The cellular structure helps absorb and diffuse imacts. Its very very similar to the material in most crash helmets.

4/ "Standard Langstroth" (as claimed by the vendor) is a bit of a nonsense. There are lots of different Langstroth standards!
Do you know what depth frames are used?

5/ For toughness and insulation in the cold (like minus 12C) expanded polystyrene (moulded to a higher density than used for packaging, etc - 100gm/litre is the benchmark) is well-proven for beehives, in worse climates than ours, and in long-term use. I don't think the same can be said for hives moulded in (unfoamed) PP.

1/ I have no idea what you are referring to by "the posibility of splitting hive in three wich could be advantageous" - but I suspect there may be something you are misunderstanding.

3/ Having looked up Technoset, I discover that the hive is said to be made of polypropylene. Thats not a great structural material, and becomes brittle at about 0ºC. Its classic use is washing-up bowls.

being able to split the hive in two or three way's is a great advantage, i have 60 4 frame nucs which i have reduced brood space very easily. also i haven't experienced any problem with them being brittle what so ever.

Beehive expanded polystyrene may be relatively soft (deliberately try to, and you can leave an impression with a fingernail), but it isn't particularly "fragile" - it doesn't break readily. The cellular structure helps absorb and diffuse imacts. Its very very similar to the material in most crash helmets.

4/ "Standard Langstroth" (as claimed by the vendor) is a bit of a nonsense. There are lots of different Langstroth standards!
Do you know what depth frames are used?

5/ For toughness and insulation in the cold (like minus 12C) expanded polystyrene (moulded to a higher density than used for packaging, etc - 100gm/litre is the benchmark) is well-proven for beehives, in worse climates than ours, and in long-term use. I don't think the same can be said for hives moulded in (unfoamed) PP.
Please Itma read carefull technoset comercial information and maybe basic materail properties.
havent you ever had to do and artificial swarm with the oportunity to do it in the same box?

..... a few points on the plastic hive

unique twin walled hive body protects the bees from all weather extremes so there will be more foraging and less allocating resources for temperature control.

No more or less foraging than in cedar or polystyrene. Of the three, as a material, they seem the coldest and definitely most prone to condensation. They are not brittle in any way - came through the -20's a couple of years ago no problem. They are excellent for making and building up nucs but not for overwintering smaller colonies unless extra insulation is used in the brood box.

Please Itma read carefull technoset comercial information and maybe basic materail properties.
Please - my first degree was in Materials Science!
The material is described as Polypropylene.
Pure PP has a 'glass transition temperature' of around 0ºC. Loosely that is the temperature when, in a standardised test, the failure mode changes between ductile and brittle.
Try kicking a washing up bowl. It shouldn't crack or break.
Then leave it outdoors through midwinter.
Repeat the kick test on a sub-zero day. You'll very likely crack it.

Stress concentrators affect the practical behaviour of real items. Put simply, if it has sharp corners, on a cold day, it'll crack at the corner, rather than flexing as it might on a warmer day.

Foamed ("blow moulded") PP would be an interesting material for a beehive. But not a twinwall assembled structure of standard injection mouldings or cut sheets.
Really.

havent you ever had to do and artificial swarm with the oportunity to do it in the same box?
In a 'long hive' (Dartington or Kenyan TBH) you can do an AS horizontally in the same box. Needing to do an AS in any smaller single box would be a bit of beekeeping failure.
Of course I've done Demaree AS's, vertically in the same hive.

I still have no idea what you think you mean by ""the posibility of splitting hive in three wich could be advantageous".

Itma

Have you actually seen one of these hives in the flesh?

...my main worry would be performance when you have temp of -12 bellow cero

{Compared against} cedar or polystyrene. Of the three, as a material, they seem the coldest and definitely most prone to condensation.

If you don't or won't believe that, I'll start to think that you are trying to sell the things.

Latest posts

Back