Plant ID

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Datura stramonium / lat.
poisonous weed, weed it out before seeding..
Or is it some bigger decorative " cousin" which is planted in some gardens..

Last edited:
The flower buds on yours do look more like datura stramonium though don't they... I'll be envious if you've got one of those. I wanted to get seed from someone's last year but it never happened. They are poisonous, but in a garden when you know what they are will they do harm? Great seedpods.

They do have a sinister reputation because of the potency. I think in India they're sacred to Shiva; I remember seeing the seed capsules at shrines.

(Nowadays it seems words are the most readily available substitute people use for poisoning each other!)

The flower buds on yours do look more like datura stramonium though don't they... I'll be envious if you've got one of those. I wanted to get seed from someone's last year but it never happened. They are poisonous, but in a garden when you know what they are will they do harm? Great seedpods.

I have a Old hippy friend who said it is one of those plants and he said it makes the world go a different colour ...:D .. if it flowers and produces seeds remind me on later and i will post some to your chosen location.. there is another one the same in another raised bed and i can only think it has come from the wild bird seed..

Thanks Millet! - I should also go and check out the site where they appeared last year shouldn't I?
"Makes the world go a different colour".. Yes and a whole lot more - that you hadn't bargained for! - and not pleasant, from the sound of it. Not the drug of choice for a good night out I feel.
I've got some of their glamorous relatives, Angels' Trumpets, here, for their gorgeous scented flowers, but they haven't flowered yet. I must feed them. Hopefully they're not waiting for a pint of baby's blood!

Thanks Millet! - I should also go and check out the site where they appeared last year shouldn't I?
"Makes the world go a different colour".. Yes and a whole lot more - that you hadn't bargained for! - and not pleasant, from the sound of it. Not the drug of choice for a good night out I feel.
I've got some of their glamorous relatives, Angels' Trumpets, here, for their gorgeous scented flowers, but they haven't flowered yet. I must feed them. Hopefully they're not waiting for a pint of baby's blood!

It has started flowering today with trumpet type white flowers.. hopefully we get seeds.. ;)

If you have a smart phone there are apps that you use to take a picture of the flower that might identify it.

Here is a picture mind you the flowers don't stay on for long..

It seems as original wild one.. D. Stramonium.

When about plants.. I visited these days one sacred place where one of the roman emperors had apotheosis and on that hill a lot of plants with eteric oils and I wonder does some of them reach origin from that period. I feel sadness and calmness when I am there. Might visit this place once again.

Last edited:
A quick update... this thing keeps growing like jacks bean stalk and it also keeps producing loads of spiky seed pod's that remind me of egg shaped conkers ..

Attachments

• IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4449.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4451.JPG
    IMG_4451.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4453.JPG
    IMG_4453.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 12
It obviously likes it there. Did you nicely prepare and feed the bed for your veg etc?
(None hereabouts this year.)

The bed is full of compost from the pots and buckets from the greenhouse over the years which gets dug in every year.. however each bed gets watered (or did) with tomerite tomato food once per week through the season which a gardenerer i know from a garden center told me to do and it works a treat.

Latest posts

Back