plan to clean varroa during summer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth

I have had difficulties with varroa two years. I have thinked how to stop cycle of violated winter bees.

I use drone zones. If I see mites in drone pupae, it is sign that they are too much before autumn. If I do not see them, oxalic acid however finds 300 mites in November.

I have here 2-3 weeks flowering brake after dandelion. It is main swarming time.

The hive, where I notice mites, I make a farse swarm and handle it probably with formic acid.
When formic acid atcs only with uncappd larvae, I put queen to lay in time to a new box. Then I move those one week young brood with queen into new false swar.

After that I have 2-3 weeks old brood without quuen in brood part. Two weeks go and all brood are emerged. Then I may handle free mites from that hive part and I join the parts for yield.

Perhaps it is laborous job, but not worse than cut the swarming fever. To catch mites with drone brood is not easy at all.

With that trick I avoid swarming.

Latest posts

Back