Paying for Queens from Slovenia help required

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am looking for somebody with experience of buying queens from Slovenia and paying by IBAN, I'm thinking this is internet banking, who I can PM for advice.

I have an invoice for payment with details but they make no sense to me.

Hope this is posted here.

I am looking for somebody with experience of buying queens from Slovenia and paying by IBAN, I'm thinking this is internet banking, who I can PM for advice.

I have an invoice for payment with details but they make no sense to me.

Hope this is posted here.

The IBAN number is the "International Bank Account Number" if you have a transferwise account or another money transfer account you can use that, if you use a bank you will get rubbish exchange rate and normally a minimum fee of £25, i have send money to Australia, NZ and Finland using transferwise and that saved me up to about 10%

The IBAN number is the "International Bank Account Number" if you have a transferwise account or another money transfer account you can use that, if you use a bank you will get rubbish exchange rate and normally a minimum fee of £25, i have send money to Australia, NZ and Finland using transferwise and that saved me up to about 10%

Thanks for that.... do you load a balance and then transfer from that?

Try transferwise.
https://transferwise.com/
You register, then add account you want to send money to this is where all the IBAN numbers come in ...then the amount and then you send them (transfer wise) the money, debit card, bank transfer etc and then they pay the recipient. Very reasonable rates.

if you use a bank you will get rubbish exchange rate and normally a minimum fee of £25,

I usually use PayPal when sending money to breeders in NL & DE. They have a new service called Xoom which is specifically intended for international funds transfers to bank accounts, etc. I haven't used it yet though so I don't know anything more about it.

Added: I had a quick look. It looks like a 99p fee

Last edited:
Thanks all for the info I will try transferwise. I did ask about PayPal but they do not use it.

A quick Question.. why from Slovenia..we have many good Queen breeders over here..

I know a guy who has bought carnolian queens from this breeder and they were very nice docile, high yealding and not swarmy. I thought I would give them a try. They were also cheap at around €16 each.

You are right about good breeders here in the UK but looking at all types

I know a guy who has bought carnolian queens from this breeder and they were very nice docile, high yealding and not swarmy. I thought I would give them a try. They were also cheap at around €16 each.

You are right about good breeders here in the UK but looking at all types
Good luck with that price..;)

Thanks all for the info I will try transferwise. I did ask about PayPal but they do not use it.

That's why I was interested in their new service called "Xoom" which can link to PayPal. You can send money to a bank account rather than an email/phone number. In this age of stealing data, some businesses don't like to publicize their bank account details.

Anyway, whichever you prefer.

A good question. And as a supplemental question, what diseases and parasites are there in Slovenia that we don't yet have here?
or, you could put it another way: what strengths/weaknesses can you expect?

This is a bit of a rhetorical question because I work with German/Dutch carnica. I know they're light-years ahead of anything I've seen here.

I've managed to sort thanks all. Used transferwise in the end.

Yes the price made me think if they were good quality but reading up all looks ok so time will tell. I've bought 2 and will see how they go

Oh for god's sake, buying queens from Slovenia because someone said they were calm! My bees are calm, they are productive, they orginally came from Saltash in Cornwall -- about 15 miles away. Every year they produce queens without me even having to ask them nicely, they produce them for nothing, they even supply me with a whole (well, half a) colony of bees when I catch the swarm. But mostly, they have few known diseases, and their provenence is provable. They are prolific in honey production and egg laying. They are British bees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imported queens again this year to increase my colony numbers in my continued attempt to turn a decent profit. To use your phrase, 'I also get a grip' and produce my own queens. Due to the inclement weather in the spring every queen I produced between mid May to mid June failed to mate properly. Alot of time and resources used up for no result other than a number of drone layer nucs.

My supplier of Slovenian queens last year said they're only allowed to sell to fellow EU countries so anyone who wants them better be quick. For the record mine were 16 euros each, individually numbered and overall excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imported queens again this year

My supplier of Slovenian queens last year said they're only allowed to sell to fellow EU countries so anyone who wants them better be quick. For the record mine were 16 euros each, individually numbered and overall excellent.

Quite
How are we all going to learn what suits us best without trying.
Personal recommendation goes a long way too.
Provided there is no disease issue surely we are all free to experiment

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back