Parasitic fly linked to bee losses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to me- unless we know as different terminology.
Something must explain mass loss - seems amazing that 30,000 bees suddenly forget all navigation on same day... or all poisoned -to give such a loss in 48hrs.
All need research to avoid great losses.

http://dailyparasite.blogspot.com/2012/01/apocephalus-borealis.html

Something else to worry about other than how to get Oxalic acid onto the bees.....
now if some super scientist could get this bug or similar to target Varroa desctuctor our most prolific Scandinavian postee would have to find something else
to bang on about!
Jonathon Swift writ a poem 'bout it methinks?

But I am probably wrong.

hopefully only an american problem

it appears on the american press in various reposts of the main article that state it can kill 7-15% of bees of a hive but not enough to cause CCD

however the Amercian forums are saying that combine with long distant hive travel where the bees are sealed in for up to 72 hours fly infected bees may die in the hive and not be cleaned out by the demoralised bees with a 15% lower work force.

The fly's maggotts hatch in the hive instead of the field and then infect the whole hive

now that's all speculation but is being followed up

"The insect lays its eggs in the abdomens of bees, which start displaying "zombie" behaviour"

Looks like we're going to need more than our beesuits for hive inspections, then :eek:

"The insect lays its eggs in the abdomens of bees, which start displaying "zombie" behaviour"

Looks like we're going to need more than our beesuits for hive inspections, then :eek:

Nah, suspect it attacks politicians, not bees, this side of the pond. ;)

Hi there.

Here is the Link to the scientific paper:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0029639

Especially those buying bees from N-America may be interested in:
"Furthermore, the domestic honey bee is potentially A. borealis' ticket to global invasion. Establishment of A. borealis on other continents, where its lineage does not occur, where host bees are particularly naïve, and where further host shifts could take place, could have negative implications for worldwide agriculture and for biodiversity of non-North American wasps and bees."

Think about it twice - Just say "No" kids!!

Greets
Phil

These are not unknown in the UK. There is a critter which sits on flowers and lays its egg on bumblebees. The emerging larva jusn't does eat the bumblebee it can also alter it behaviour. IIRC one which targets over-wintered queens causes the bee to return to where it hibernated and then the larva can consume the bee in the safety of an underground nest. Nature can outdoor the best ideas of Hollywood in the horror department.

Nah, suspect it attacks politicians, not bees, this side of the pond.

and... Where's my single malt. How long do I have to wait ... sorry Afermo...................
Tis sitting in a wreck of Barra!

Funny how when anyone mentions POLITICIAN I always think of the stinky oily wreck!!!

I knew all those hours spent playing Plants vs Zombies were worth it!

I wonder how long it will take before we start to get reports of Zombie bees in the UK?

Latest posts

Back