painting apidea's boxe's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
i want to paint my apideas boxes a host of different coloures and woundering what you would recommend.i have several half cans of differenet colours gloss paint in the garage and was going to use these. i look at coupernal wood shades and they were a bit pricy at €11 for a 500ml tin

Red, yellow, green, blue.
The red one would be useful for you to recognise, but would not help the bees.

Hope that helps - but I am a little doubtful on that score!

Regards, RAB

Any old gloss paint will work providing it isn't cellulose. You might like to paint the roofs a different colour to the bodies as the contrast will help. Some people also paint stripes, squares etc. on them. Think seaside beach hut and you won't go far wrong.

This sort of thing, painted by the man who wrote the book on it.

PH

The red one would be useful for you to recognise, but would not help the bees.

Hope that helps - but I am a little doubtful on that score!

Regards, RAB

The four bee colours are black, yellow, blue and white. See Von Frisch.

If you stick to the four bee colours you could arrange them in groups of four. Any more than four, make the arrangement of the colours differnt.

Last edited:
The red one would be useful for you to recognise, but would not help the bees.Regards, RAB

Would the bees not just see the red one as black and therefore be able to recognise this as well?

I would suggest that different shapes painted on the apideas, rather than different colours, might be more beneficial?

Latest posts

Back